Internal window ledge replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've recently moved house...needs a fair bit of work as expected (especially when you scratch the surface!).

The windows in the house are relatively new, at least a couple of years left in them I reckon.
The handles aren't much cop mind - faux brass, looking decidely shady (easily replaceable? Will post details on another thread if I can find measurments for them).

But underneath all the windows (in the majority of rooms) are these thin, plastic veneers - over the original wood ones I guess. Some (especially the bay windows one as on the pic) are 'on the wonk' and probably not intentionally (the other side of the bay is more horizontal).

Is there any way I can take these out and replace with a nicer ledge (oak for example)? I'm sure the veneer will come off quite easily but the original wood will be a pain I reckon...chisel and new plaster etc?

windowledgeinternal.jpg

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks herts - didn't realise they would both be so easy. I'll take one of the handles off and check sizes before I pick some up.

Don't mind the plastering element for the ledges - having to channel much if the walls anyway, so may as well do these as well. Might you have a pointer towards methods and tips for this...or is it a case of chisel out the old wood (taking the veneer off first), measure up then fit new ledge? Wouldn't mind some treated hardwood in there, though I suspect the wallet will dictate and softwood will be sourced!
Many thanks.

From the picture it looks like plastic window boards, try and lift it up and see how it's fixed, my guess it only 'gripfilled' on. Once you have them off you can use these as a template for your new ones. Get the window boards from a timber yard, softwood for painting and hardwood for staining.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Looks like (and feels like) a plastic 'cap/veneer' over the original wood ones (the house dates from around 1950) - that or wooden ones dating back a fair bit. You can actually lift the front and side up, but the rest appears to be glued.
I'll pull them up properly once I have my toolbix ready...pliers?!!

It would be revelation if I can refit these myself. Dwindling budget for house repairs means I'm going to have to (secretly want to) get my hands mucky and callous ridden :)
My only concern was they were somehow structurally holding the UPVC window frames above - I honestly don't know. A stained hardwood option would be ideal. I know of a local timber yard so I'll pop down towards the end of the week.

Also, not sure how clear it is from the pic I posted, but these living room bay window ledges slant from the front to the wall (fairly considerably, as if a design choice). Would I follow these (if designed this way) or attempt to straighten them on the horizontal? The centre bay ledge seems fairly straight....

Many thanks.

Sorry to dreg this post up from the recent past...but just an update.

I've taken a bit of the pvc covering off the ledge, and it looks like the orginal sills are in place.
I'm happy pulling the rest of the PVC off (it looks at best grim) and then taking the sills out - guaranteed quite a bit of mess and replaster, but then again the walls and ceilings are in the same boat.
Slight concern over taking the sills out would cause the windows to drop i.e. is it possible they are resting upon the original sills?
If you notice in the picture, the sills to the left and right (in a bay window) slant/droop (one side worse than the other) whereas the central long sill seems fairly straight - is this a concern?

windowsill.jpg

Many thanks.

Hi there,
I’ve just moved house and need to resolve exact same problem.

I’m interested to know whether your windows were resting on the sill and how you managed to replace them? Did the windows slip etc?

In my case it’s hard to tell whether the pvc window and pvc sill are actually one piece, or two separate pieces closely fit together.

No idea why anyone would dream of creating plastic window sills they look terrible and cannot wait to work out how to resolve this job myself.

Highly unlikely to be sat on the internal sills (but not impossible).
Take a pic inside and out and we can take a look.

They are pretty horrible in white PVC (some of the colours can look good if well fitted) Some people just want maintenance free and some fitters just make a pigsear of the old sills.
The old timber sills will likely be nailed down into wooden blocks, If you try to just crow bar them up you will have quite a bit of plastering to repair. Its best to cut and chisel them to bits.

The twist in the board is natural movement of the wood combined with it being fitted on an uneven base (the brick sleeper wall below). Doubt that the board extends under the window, the "horn" will have been formed to fit round the end of the window. You can use a powerful neodymium magnet to locate the fixings and remove those prior to pulling out the board. But as others have said there will be a fair bit of plaster and dust coming away.

If the base on which the existing window board is sitting is uneven, that will need levelling out, or at least the new board will need packing out, so factor that in to any decision to remove. The alternative is to remove the plastic strip, sand down and gloss paint the original board.

Cheers,

Blup

Doh! Great idea with the magnet, I should have thought of that years ago lol

Not sure if it's appropriate to mention rival sites but Chez Rossi on his ultimate handyman you tube site tested these on stud walls etc.

I bought one and it was very effective for locating studs. They're are exceptionally powerful and, if not held firmly, will literally fly off in the direction of a buried nail or screw even when buried in plasterboard.

Blup

I literally started using that tip today (For door removal not window boards though).
20's house with weak plaster so I normally just guesstimate and chisel the frame to find the nails to remove.
Got one of those telescopic magnets in my toolbox for recovering tools from cavity's and found them all in seconds. Really cant believe Ive never thought of it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back