internet cafes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.... i'm due to go on holiday shortly and because of this volcanic ash situation and cancelled flights i may need access to my computer if stranded abroad. i've never used an internet cafe or hotel computer before and i'm unsure how to gain access to my computer if need be. any help or info. about what i need to know to log on to my computer and how to do it would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
When ever you use a computer that is in the public domain, please make sure that you delete ALL the web browser history before you leave. The amount of times I've used a public computer and found personal details from previous users is scary.

Only visit the sites you have to on a public computer, avoid submitting as much personal information as possible, and always, always keep an eye on who might be interested in what you're doing.

I'm thinking of picking up a cheap netbook purely for using when I'm away on holiday, so that I have control of exactly what I'm accessing and the information I'm giving away. That said, if the wireless connection is unencrypted.....

Trouble is, when using a computer in an internet cafe either here or abroad is.... You don't know if the owner of the computer/s has put any keylogging software on it. Personally, when I go abroad, I only ever use the computers there to access sites like the BBC etc to keep up with the news. I leave all my emails until I return home. I certainly wouldn't log into any social networking sites nor set up remote access to my home computer.

Sponsored Links
good point JJ about the possible software on a public computer. I would add that if you must check your emails from abroad on a public computer then why not set up a new email address for this express purpose and have your other emails forwarded on so then you only have to guard that password and can change it at the end of your trip from home for reuse next time. At least that stops anybody looking right through your historical mail and you could delete each email once you have read it cos it will remain on your main email. Never Ever log onto your online bank account.

if overly concerned you can minimise risks by using a U3 usb stick with a browser such as firefox on it when in an internet cafe- admittedly it wont help much if key loggers are being used

http://u3.sandisk.com/

Additionally you can open a VPN account (using Open VPN) for about £5pm with someone like VPSVille.- all of your traffic will be encrypted. This means that if using your own laptop no one else will be able to sniff your passwords etc.

http://www.vpsville.ca

VPSVille will let you set up a month only acc. You also have a choice of servers in the UK , USA or Canada, personally I have a US based one just so that I can watch hulu.com

Back