Internet Explorer 9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am on Windows XP with IE7 at present. does anyone know, am I likely to get any benefit from upgrading to IE9? Is it better or quicker than IE7? Or should Iupgrade to IE8? I am having difficulty finding any advice or information on the web. Any advice much appreciated, thank you

Sponsored Links
I am running on Vista with Explorer 8, I tried 9 & didnt like it so removed same. Quite happy with 8.
JonB

dave.m, thanks for your reply, most useful. I think, I shall stick with IE7, and wait until I change to Windows 7 before updating web-browser.

Sponsored Links
Zokko, have you considered using another browser? Google Chrome, Mozilla or similar? I use Chrome as my browser and have found it to be an excellent browser and slightly faster than IE7. ;) ;)

joinerjohn, I have tried Chrome, but find the layout of 'favourites' somewhat confusing. Seems bit of a muddle compared to IE7, but I shall have a further look at it. Thankyou for your reply.

KingboyD, thanks for reply. I downloaded Firefox 4 earlier, it does seem quick. However, the favourites remind me of what IE used to be like, that is, in columns across the screen as folders open, rather than opening in one column like IE7 does.
Perhaps there is a way of changing this, I shall look into it and report back.

Hi Zokko

You really should be running IE8 and not 7- the changes are more than cosmetic layouts- there are security/exploit issues to consider as well.

I appreciate that you can't have ie9 but it does have some pretty good features such as cross site scripting protection.

Just a shame that it won't render all sites properly, eg BBC Iplayer.

Another very good browser is Opera- it even has a bit torrent and email client built in

joinerjohn, I have tried Chrome, but find the layout of 'favourites' somewhat confusing. Seems bit of a muddle compared to IE7, but I shall have a further look at it. Thankyou for your reply.

I have the FAVOURITES bar removed, in-fact I prefer to not have any tool-bars at all because it takes up space on your screen that could be used to see more of the web site

IE is not stable enough for me, Chrome crapping out is extremely rare!

IE is not stable enough for me, Chrome crapping out is extremely rare!

I've had lots of chrome crashes/freezes- mind you I tend to use it for viewing certain types of sites. ;)

Incidentally how do you tell chrome to disallow certain specific pop unders when clicking on certain flash full screen links??

Sponsored Links
Back