INTERNET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need intenet acess in my new garden office which i am building.
I have a router with earthnet sockets and lso a spare broadband modem.

Should i run a phone extension from the house or can i run a cable from my router to my pc outside?
If so what do i need?
Many Thaks.

Sponsored Links
You could go wireless. I am sure any branch of a computer shop could help you.

I have a wireless router for my laptop which is ~ 6months old but its unreliable and the range is not that good.
Thanks for your suggestion though.

running a phone extention wouldn't really help you much since you can't use multiple dsl modems to connect at the same time and the whole point of boradband is that you can leave it connected.

i'd just run normal cat5 myself network wiring isn't a safety hazard if it gets cut through by accident so no real need for armouring.

i would however keep it away from any mains wiring prefferablly in a seperate trench to make sure that mains didn't get carried over to it by a digging accident or similar.

Sponsored Links
Google wireless, you can get additional antennas for a lot of wireless routers (look on the back, has it got a screw connection for the stubby antenna?)

You can also get better signal by using a USB wireless adapter so you can hang it on a hook in the outhouse once you find the best location.

Can you move the house router so it is literally looking out of a glass window at the outhouse, line of sight and similar for a adapter in the outhouse?

All worth a try!

A bit strong ;)

I agree in most instances, but properly specified and installed wireless can run for months or I suspect years without problems (mine has at home!)

Not much cop in older houses I guess with the thick walls :(

Cat5 is certainly the simplest option as you can run a length upto 100m and if you have a route that is not obtrusive then it will be the cheapest option, and you can run some 4wire phone cable out there at the same time.

As for wireless being rubbish and unreliable, then I would suggest that your experience has been based on old or cheap kit. A decent Pre-N wireless router will easily cover a house and garden of all but the most stately of homes. You gets what you pay for!!

Merv

Signature in for Repairs

ban-all-sheds said:
dmcclymont said:
A bit strong ;) (

What's the bandwidth?

802.11b = 11Mbps
802.54g = 54 mbps (125mbps with Pre-N)

Compared to a typical Broadband line of 512K or 2Mb!

What's the packet loss rate?
No more than a typical CSMA/CD Wired Lan

What's the security like?
28-bit WEP, 64-bit WEP, WPA - all pretty secure
also, turn of ESSID Broadcast and your network is invisible to snoopers!

Never had a problem with my wireless LAN(s) in the last 3 years!

Merv

Allenm said:
Cat5 is certainly the simplest option as you can run a length upto 100m and if you have a route that is not obtrusive then it will be the cheapest option, and you can run some 4wire phone cable out there at the same time.
Why not run the phone over some more Cat5?

As for wireless being rubbish and unreliable, then I would suggest that your experience has been based on old or cheap kit. A decent Pre-N wireless router will easily cover a house and garden of all but the most stately of homes. You gets what you pay for!!
People would do well to remember that "Pre-N" is short for "pre the 802.11n standard", so buying now means there is a risk of ending up with equipment which does not comply with the eventual standard. Fine if you enjoy playing with bleeding edge stuff because it's new and shiny, but if all you want is a network that works...

Allenm said:
802.11b = 11Mbps
Cat 5 cabling will comfortably support gigabit speeds.

You seem to be forgetting the issue of a LAN for multiple computers and peripherals, storage libraries, telephones...

Wireless connectivity has its uses - in communal spaces, public buildings etc, but as a solution to the problem of getting an ADSL signal from one fixed place (the house) to another fixed place (the garden office) it is inappropriate technology.

For laptops it can be more useful to use it for the final link instead of a cable, but IMO the underlying infrastructure should still be a flood-wired Cat5E structured cabling system.

Of course run this under ground as the ports on PCs and Laptops do not have lighting arrestor circuitry like some other telecom apperatus!

ban-all-sheds said:
Allenm said:
802.11b = 11Mbps
Cat 5 cabling will comfortably support gigabit speeds.

You seem to be forgetting the issue of a LAN for multiple computers and peripherals, storage libraries, telephones...

thomasjeans said:
I need intenet acess in my new garden office which i am building.

You seem to forgetting the original question!! ;)

I agree with most of your comments, except that the Pre-N standard is compliant with the 802.11g standard (and 802.11b for that matter), so the idea of being left with kit that is non-compliant is wrong. Shiny and new is not the only reason for the newer standards, it is the range and signal quality!!

Also, yes cat5 supports gigabit (and probably alot higher!), however I seriously doubt that the PCs employing this LAN will be able to use anything like that speed!

Merv

we used to supply and fit wireless broadband, soon got rid once the complaints came flooding in....Hardwire every time...secure and reliable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back