Intuder alarm zones - is entry/exit classified as a zone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

Im thinking of buying the scantronic 9651 8 zone alarm system.

I have already run the wiring for the alarms and altogether their are 8 PIR sensors to be fitted.

Also there will be a contact at the front door.

So do i need more than an 8 zone system, or is the entry/exit wired in a different way.

Do I then need to go for a 9 zone system?

Also what is the industry standard alarm system? I think scantronic are pretty good but would like to go for the nest if possible.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
yes you need 9 or more zones,(or loose a pir, dont even think about putting 2 on the same circiut) there is no industry standard alarm panel. (ythere are standards alarm panels have to comply to, but thats different)

Depends on what company is installing it.

Scantronic are very popular because they were the first to make a key less panel and have been doing so for years.

Menvier is also popular, but they are now both owned by the same parent company.

personally i would favour scantronic

although that said, menvier TS 700 (or any of the TS above TS500) has 8 zones in the panel and 2 in the keypad

thanks for your reply, breezer.

Ive also got two panic buttons, do these class as zones as well? Also does the panel and main bell box count as zones too?

Also wheres the best place to buy an alarm system from?

Ive had a look at a few sites and they havent got much selection. For example if i go for a scantronic 9751 which is expandable to 24 zones via a card, where do i buy the card from?

The sites ive been going to dont have all these bits and bobs.
Any recs?[/url]

the pas do count as zones too, but as they latch they can both be put on the same zone

the panel lid tamper although should indicate separatly does not count as a zone.

the bell tamper return also does not count as a zone

as for where to get them i would suggest an alarm wholesalers, but officaly they are trade only

Sponsored Links
ok, thanks m8.

I was wondering why i couldnt find any suppliers on the net. Ive been searching endlessly trying to find a decent site. My local electrical wholesaler doesnt sell them either.

I guess ill have to look in the yellow pages or somthing.

not familiar with s/tronic, but the panels i use have sep pa terms and pa does not use a zone.

scuse lower case - baby in right arm.....!!

but in your case, there is a dedicated pa zone.

most new scantronics (most panels actually) you can programme the zone to any of the zone options you like, so with an 8 zone panel you could prog all 8 zones as pa, this would be usfull if you had say a bunch of meeting rooms with worker on one side and a member of joe public on the other, any trouble push a pa, and panel would show which room needed assitance

So i guess i have to be in the alarm fitting business to buy something from those sites?

Cant i just send them a cheque for the stuff i need like a mail order thing. So they dont have to draw up a credit argreement?

Do you know if they sell to the public like that or STRICTLY trade only?

go there (to the whole salers) and see, mind you if you want to take on a chalenge, i have used kirizma panels

up to 30 zones (that way you could have both pa's on own cct, each pir own cct, front door on own cct and still have room for 19 more ccts) but if you do take this route, remeber to get the right biscuits, they do not have to be wired in numerical order

hmm the description says up to 30 but tlc only seem to sell the buiscuits up to 20

cheers m8, ive just found this site:

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/index.php?showtopic=3801

had a look here:

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/control_panel.shtml

and it says that meniver is the leading manufacturer. So i may end up going for this. I want the best, as ill be doing most if not all of the install myself.

Wires have already been run.

I had a look at the meniver site and this panel has 6-14 zones, without expander I think.

http://www.menviersecurity.co.uk/templates/datasheet.asp?lArticleID=920

benjiman said:
I had a look at the meniver site and this panel has 6-14 zones, without expander I think.

sorry, you think not right

like most menvier panels, it has x number of ccts on board,
2 on each keypad, then it either has, nodes, x nodes or maybe zems or similar (nodes & x nodes fit all networker series of panels)

so assuming you have already run cables to where panel will be (i can understand that) then you will have to get some expanders (as mentioned)

menvier also make a iD panel too.

========================
plugwash

you are right they tlc do only have up to 20 biscuits, perhaps they can get the other 10 if required, but most houses dont go much above 12 ccts

Ok thanks breezer. So which one would you recomend persoanlly?

Menvier or scantronic? I suppose they are both good as they are both owned by cooper.

Anyways as both the scanny and menvier require expanders, which one is the least complex to install? Is it simply a case of installing an expander card into the box like a soundcard to a motherboard on a pc?

Or is there soldering etc invloved?

not sure of the scantronic yo refer to, but some have a plug on expander (98+, 96,91) do, others like menvier have wire into these terminals expanders.

also as i said most menvier keypads have 2 ccts in the kepad, as default one is pa the other is final exit (but you can change this)

I would opt for scantronic my self

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back