Investigating Damp Around Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help. I've just moved into a circa 1900 house which had dampness on the walls picked up on the survey. This dampness got worse during recent rain and has prompted me to do some investigation.

I've attached a few pictures below showing the extent of the damp. I've had a surveyor in and he suspected that the chimney was letting in water from the top, hitting a blockage (causing the patch of damp high up the wall) and then trickling down the inside of the chimney causing the two patches at the bottom.

Today a chimney sweep confirmed that their was no blockage and was doubtful if the chimney could leak to the extent of causing the amount of damp shown. He is coming back tomorrow to check the stack. He suggested lifting the floor boards which I have done (see other photos).

Under the floor, it looks like there is a joist that is sitting on a small brick wall (both running 90 degrees from the external wall), then there is a joist at 90 degrees sat on top of it which holds the floor boards. Both seem a little wet and it would make sense that water could be travelling up from the wood, into the skirting and then into the wall. The question really is how do I stop this? Should the small wall be separated from the outside wall? I'm guessing that if the two are touching (or something has fallen in the gap), it might get wet as its probably beneath the damp course?

I hope the above explanation makes sense! I'm a total novice so this is new territory to me!

James

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Damp wall.jpg
    Damp wall.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
I can help you but it would involve you in answering more questions and posting some more pics - come back here if you want to do it?

Hi ree. Thanks for your reply and help. I can definitely post some more pictures tomorrow evening if you let me know what you need to see? What questions do you need answered?

Sponsored Links
1. Is there any ventilation in the flue - does the fire opening have a soffit vent?
Who created the fire opening as it now is?

2. did the chimney sweep actually sweep the flue? Or any other flues?
Ask the sweep to pic the stack flashing and flaunching - post any pics on here.

3. Could you lift the left hand floor board and pic whats exposed?

4. Its probable that the skirting around the c/breast is affected by damp.
Is there a solid hearth in front of the c/breast?

5. is there damp on the c/breast in the bedroom above?

6. have you examined the c/breast in the loft for water stains?

7. could you pic:
the left side of the c/breast.
the whole exterior wall from ground level to stack (if its a gable).
below the floor showing more and clearer detail of the floor opening in the pics above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back