Invisible uploads or missinformation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I am running p2p prog winmx. Maybe its immoral but loads of us are doing it.

The thing is this, on winmx it tells me I am uploading at a rate of around 2kbps and on my Sygate it tells me outgoing traffic is 6/9Kbps. I cant help wondering if this is what is called 'hijacking' and someone is taking my files without going through the normal process or if it is just a discrepancy between the 2 programs.

Are there any (free) progs out there that will show me exactly what traffic is going through my modem (cable 24/7, 300Kbps), as this does seem to slow my other internet use noticeably.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Try unloading/stopping winmx and closing all browsers and internet dependent software. Then have a look and see if there is any outgoing traffic. What operating system are you using?

Not used winmx myself, but does it use/can it be configured for logs?

Chances are, the two applications are not reporting the same thing.

You were right Igorian, thank you. Seems the 2 progs were reporting the same thing differently. However I am still seeking something to do an independent monitor on the flow of traffic, as it can take days sometimes to get through the ques and start downloading. With my and other peoples slow connections it can then take days to actually finish a download, so everytime I switch off, I drop out of the que.

Also you asked about logs, yes it is set up to record logs. But if someone is getting files through hijacking or through the back door, then it wont show in the log anyway.

O/S = XPpro

Cheers

I use both WinMX and Kazaa, and I have found a marked decline in the results from both recently.

With WinMX, I have found that all the tracks I search for are found, but that I am at the botttom of lenghty queues, and when I do start downloading I get very slow download rates.

With Kazaa, I get decent download rates, but it's getting increasingly likely that you get corrupt tracks, i.e. files which are silent, or white noise etc.

Maybe the powers that be (Simon Cowell's millions etc) are having a crackdown....

Sponsored Links
To add to my last post: just for the record, I'm not an advocate of stealing music "per se".

I have put my entire CD, tape, and vinyl collection onto my hard drive. I find it an incredibly useful medium as my PC is linked through my sound system anyway. I fire up winamp and there are some 100,000+ tracks on random play - I have yet to find any other hardware that will do that for me.

If I hear a single on the radio which I like, I will download it. If that artist then releases more songs that I like, I buy the album on CD. Sometimes they don't, which, by definition, means that a fair percentage of my mp3s are "unpaid for". But I feel that this is balanced by the artists I do support, whose albums are added in hard copy to my collection.

I can resolve your problem in one hit...

www.hmv.co.uk or www.mycokemusic.com

Fair priced, good quality, legal downloads. Ideal if you buy a lot of singles. You can use the sites to preview albums which I recommend you then go buy on CD.

By using these sites instead of the P2P networks, you will..

• go a long way to protecting your PC from invasion by malicious code
    help prevent the spread of computer viruses
    not break the law
    keep musicians and many thousands of ordinary people in work in the music (and film) business

No, I don't work for a record company or any other part of the industry. Yes I have downloaded illegally in the past. No, I don't do it any more - there's no need.

ninebob

have you tried limewire p2p. Use that instead of kazaa and kazaa lite. Faster downloads and fewer corrupt files. Also with kazaa had a lot of problems with viruses.

Back