IP65 garage light switch: Sealing the cable entry points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage roof now leaks a bit in heavy rain. So I have bought this type of IP65 external switch to replace the existing standard internal fused light switch in my garage.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...y-weatherproof-outdoor-switch-with-neon/54649
Should have bought the 1-way version really, but it seems I can easily convert it.

A couple of questions:
- I will remove the circular punchouts at the top and bottom of the mounting box. How do I then seal the mounting box? This an obvious place for water ingress, and the holes look rather large.
- The switch does not seem to have a fuse. Is this a common design for external switches -- the mains unit trips instead?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I can see how that would be a good seal.
I expected something like this to be supplied with the product...

Should have bought the 1-way version really,
It doesn't matter. The other way round would.

- I will remove the circular punchouts at the top and bottom of the mounting box.
Why? Just use the bottom ones.

- The switch does not seem to have a fuse. Is this a common design for external switches -- the mains unit trips instead?
You have bought one that does not have a fuse.

Sponsored Links
Why does it matter?

Why are you always nit-picking?

I would hazard a guess that EFLI picked a place most people live near and a brand that is half the price of MK. It happens to have a neon, so what?

Just bought a pair of M20 grommets from Wickes.
The cable seals are missing!
Would a few winds of insulation tape suffice to give a decent seal?

EDIT: Found it. It was black rubber ring lodged in the top nut. Nothing like the diagram in the instructions.

Last edited:
Re: Neon. All stock at Wickes had neon.
You can configure the neon operation:
- Neon always ON when power is ON (called Power mode)
- Neon only ON when switch is ON (called Switch mode)
- Neon only ON when switch is OFF (called Locator mode, presumably for finding the switch in the dark)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back