IR thermometer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Looking for a cheap-ish IR thermometer. Mainly going to be used for balancing rads, but I also work on cars as a hobby so will probably use it for other things too.

I have found three, but not sure which would be the best.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190819830...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3194wt_1129

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261034524...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2121wt_1206

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300885236260?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Anyone any experience of these who can advise?

Many thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've got the one in your bottom link.

It's not bad at all for the money, and whilst it might not be the most accurate in the world, it's good enough for me and sounds like it will be for what you want too.

IMO there's no point spending mega money on something like this.

Thanks I'll probably get that one then. At least it isn't too much money if I don't end up using it a lot. :)

I ordered the last one on the list (less than a tenner, including delivery), it arrived today, and it is BRILLIANT!

I have been finding the hotspots on my radiators, discovering that oranges are half a degree colder than apples in the same bowl, found that the white bits of the tablecloth are 1.5 degrees hotter than the dark bits and that the bathwater is 3 whole degrees hotter at the tap end :!:

Best tenner I ever spent :D

[edit] turns out that the last one on the list was on a special at £9.99 and now it's at £19.99 - not so sure I'd have splurged twenty notes on it, but if you can find it for £10 then the recommendation still stands!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I haven't ordered one yet, and now as you say it has gone up in price. :(
Snooze and lose I guess. :)
I'll have another hunt around.

Nice to know it works though. How accurate do you think it is?

discovering that oranges are half a degree colder than apples in the same bowl, found that the white bits of the tablecloth are 1.5 degrees hotter than the dark bits

No, you've discovered emissivity. Might want to do some reading up on that.

discovering that oranges are half a degree colder than apples in the same bowl, found that the white bits of the tablecloth are 1.5 degrees hotter than the dark bits

This is why I didn't know if I should go for one with an adjustable emissivity!

Bit more expensive but may give better results!

It depends what measurement you're after. For measuring the temperature difference across a radiator, the emissivity will not change and absolute value is unimportant, only relative change. Although particularly shiny bits could still be a problem.

I'm only using it to measure fruit and radiators :D

Certainly, going across the radiator it was showing differences between 42 and 53C (yes - I need to bleed them) and it was very consistent so traversing the face and going back again would provide the same reading.

So, if you want relative temperatures it is hard to beat but I'm not sure how real-world accurate it is.

Note that the original ad above states they are now £19.99 but a quick trawl over ebay shows the same unit for under £9 incl postage.

This one, for example; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Conta...pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item19d3879fb1

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

It depends what measurement you're after. For measuring the temperature difference across a radiator, the emissivity will not change and absolute value is unimportant, only relative change. Although particularly shiny bits could still be a problem.

Thanks, I will be using it for radiators, but also for anything else I find it handy for. I work on cars quite a bit so it could become useful here too.
Maybe I just get the £10 one and see how i get on. :?:

I have the dewalt and use it most weekends when we go racing, sneaky peek at other peoples tyre temps across the whole width of the tyre without them even knowing your pinching set up data from them :D

I've had mine a while now, and find I mainly use it to see how cold it is in the back of the van :LOL:

They are ok for what they are, but I'm currently researching thermal imaging cameras to replace the IR thermometer. I'm doing a lot of research as they are eye wateringly expensive :eek:

I've had mine a while now, and find I mainly use it to see how cold it is in the back of the van :LOL:

They are ok for what they are, but I'm currently researching thermal imaging cameras to replace the IR thermometer. I'm doing a lot of research as they are eye wateringly expensive :eek:

They're also eye wateringly more useful :)

You find one crappy joint with one and it'll probably have paid for itself, and you'll be able to see that through most plastic enclosures and even some metalclad.

Which ones you looking at RF, have you looked here?

http://www.merlinlazer.com/Thermal-Imaging-Cameras

Dewalt currently do an affordable one too

I'm currently thinking either a flir i7 or a testo 875-1

I think I need something which can deliver at least a 140 x 140 pixel image.

My budget is around £1500 including vat, but it's beginning to look a bit unrealistic. I'd rather pay more now and get a good one rather than buy a cheaper one, and realise it's no good and end up buying a dearer one too.

There's a place in Leeds that have a load of different thermal cameras available for hire / demo, so I think I'll try a couple in the flesh before I commit to anything.

Thanks for the link crank. I hadn't seen that so I'll take a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back