Iran football manager

The BBC, like any organisation, comprises individuals. I suspect when it comes to cases like Savile, much of the failures come down to various individuals protecting their career and/or not having enough actual evidence to go on. This was evident when watching people interviewed in subsequent years, you could almost sense their unease, possibly realising they put their career progression above doing anything. Can we all, hand on heart, say we might not do likewise? Btw, please note (before someone tries to say it) I am NOT defending anything that piece of scum did in typing the above.

Further, I'm also not convinced the same thing couldn't happen in any of the major tv channels. There could be a modern day Savile working right now for ITV, C4, C5 whoever. And maybe some people have their doubts about said person but have a career to protect and/or don't have the evidence.

It was interesting watching Katherine Ryan being interviewed by Louis Theroux recently. She mentioned calling someone out (to their face) for being a sexual predator I think during the recording of a tv panel show or something. The recording was stopped and obviously those bits didn't make the edit. According to Katherine, it is an open secret in their industry about this 'major name', however she doesn't want to mention them by name because of the possible legal consequences. As she said 'I have a mortgage that needs paid.' So, if true, that could be another Weinstein in the making and it might all come out years from now.

I think the way the BBC is funded is up for debate, however I can't get my head around people that call for its outright closure and refer to it as if it's some sort of horrendous blot on our media landscape. Be careful what you wish for is what I'd say on that front.
Exactly, the BBC like other large organisations such as NHS, police etc are easy targets for the ill informed, I echo your sentiment, "be careful what you wish for"

Sponsored Links
Almost as unlikely as a British Consulate in Somalia. ;)
Thank you, what a nice gift:
The British Embassy Mogadishu does not provide consular services.

I appreciate that you did not intend it as a gift, but I thank you none the less. :D

While I'm at it:
The British Embassy in Djibouti does not provide consular services

I don't think I need to go on. :D

Last edited:
This was evident when watching people interviewed in subsequent years, you could almost sense their unease, possibly realising they put their career progression above doing

Where has this been evident recently

Sponsored Links
Where has this been evident recently
Why do you ask, do you not believe my post? I've said before, this is a discussion forum, not a uni debating chamber. I'm not going to cite sources after everything I type. In the years since Savile was outed, various media folk (some of whom were up and coming in the BBC at the time) were asked about the case when being interviewed (either about the case specifically or as an aside.) You could tell with some of them they felt conflicted that they perhaps hadn't said more at the time. However, although they wouldn't phrase it as such, you could tell in some cases there was a degree of self-protection (career wise) going on and/or simply not enough actual evidence.

If I'm a trainee lawyer in a massive legal firm and there are rumours that one of the partners gets handsy with young female trainees, whether or not I raise this depends on how much I value my career progression.

We're all good at saying 'why didn't you call them out?!?' however life is rarely as straightforward as that.

Back