Irwin Clamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought that I'd go straight to the medium duty quick clamps and try to build up a variety of sizes. To start I thought I'd buy a pair of 300mm (12") but would like to confirm because they are an expensive item. Will they work OK for smaller ranges ie. to avoid buying 150mm as well. If OK I would then buy the next size up to increase the range. I can't afford all sizes.

Sponsored Links
JUST a DIYer
I use the 24" & 36" Irwin Heavy Duty for smaller jobs OK
Also have a few lidl 12" & 18" and use those a lot
Now a few wickes 12 & 18 and use for clamping small stuff - which I can move the stationary part anywhere on the BAR which is useful
JUST depends on how small really
BUT
I am looking at now getting. the Bessey Clamps

The medium duty are way better than the small ones.

Make sure you buy a connecting bar.

Yes they will work for small jobs.

I use the Irwin QR clamps on site, generally just carrying a couple of 6in ones around. I find that for the tasks I perform with them (clamping joists, rafters, etc together) the 6in size performs better. This is because the bar on the next size up, the 12in model, tends to get in the way, especially when working in tight spaces. Similarly if using 36in bars to clamp together a small 12in carcass whilst the glue sets I would need to ensure that the projecting ends of the bars were supported in order to ensure that the carcass wasn't subjected to racking (and this ended up warped).

There is wn old saying that you never have enough clamps

Sponsored Links
You can use the 12 inch clamps for any size upto 12in wide. Presently the 12in medium duty ones are good value in Toolstation but still not cheap.
I've a multitude of the Irwin mini clamps, both 6" and12" - I'm more than satisfied with them but then I have some screw ('G') clamps where I need to apply more pressure.
As J&K says with large clamps you do need to support the bar ends when clamping small stuff. Also agree that you can never have enough clamps.

Me I'd buy more mini's rather than fewer medium duty ones - YMMV. Would prefer to use 2 light clamps rather than one medium/heavy one.

Also agree with the statement that you can never have enough clamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back