Plastering tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to invest in a full set of plastering trowels,tools etc but not sure what size trowels I should get and what other tools I should buy. I have plastered before to an ok standard using cheapo trowels but they have gone rusty and pitted so thought about buying stainless steel. I will be doing several ceilings and walls as I go from room to room in my house. So I'm looking for for either a full set or seperate mid range items items at reasonable price can anyone recommend sizes of trowels,which tools and the best places to buy.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bri!

You'll get different answers from different plasterers but here's my tuppence worth.

i use a 13" ragni stainless steel trowel for most my work, have a smaller 11" and 8" for smaller areas and some margin trowels for really narrow bits i.e. around door frames.

screwfix is as good as anywhere, even B&Q sell a good range of professional quality trowels now, marshaltown, ragni or tyzack are good, resist the temptation to buy and expensive pre-worn trowel, not worth it, wear it in yourself by plastering, about £25 should do you for the biggest trowel.

get plenty of gorilla type buckets, flexible ones for mixing in and some builders buckets for water etc.

the list could go on...and on...and on...

Fairly new to plastering but now use a 13" marshaltown in s/s. Started with an 11" one, but on big flat walls found it a bit small.

I checked out BQ and Trowlmonkey is right, a good selection. But for my Marshaltowns I bought them off the net where I found them a bit cheaper.

for floating its a marshi s/s rubber handle 14"

skim its a wooden handle tyzack 14".

also got a marshi midget trowel an 11" one, margin trowels and a pipe trowel but apart from the margin trowels and the top two i hardly use the others.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, been trawling through internet but can't make up my mind. Any more thoughts on what sizes to go for considering I only done a couple of ceilings and walls before. Would 13" be more suitable for a beginner.
I think my shopping list will be as follows
13"/14" ss trowel
bucket trowel
margin set
pipe trowel

really owuldn't worry too much bryan about an inch, 13 or 14 will do you fine.

would add a gauging trowel to your list too, help with testing your mix and for cleaning down tools/buckets.

oh and don't forget a hawk!

a large brush for splashing water too.

get one of the pump squirty bottles that you can pump up and then just hold the trigger rather than squirting over and over again

What do you need a spray bottle for? Thats why you have a BIG brush!!! Init?? :rolleyes: ;)

Quite right Roy,,,,, it's enough to make the old plasterers cry... ain't it. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back