Is a cooker isolator required? *POLL*

Does a local DP isolator HAVE to be installed?

• Yes it required

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No it is optional

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am starting this thread to avoid hijacking the other thread any further.

Here is an extract from the manufacturers instructions for an aga electric cooker.
4AF4B92B-025A-4DAA-A8FA-A3636E469D19.jpeg

“Oxford English dictionary” said:
must
/mʌst/

1. verb
be obliged to; should (expressing necessity)
"you must show your ID card”

Similar:

ought to
should have to
have got to
need to
be obliged to
be required to
be compelled to
be under an obligation to

2. noun
INFORMAL

something that should not be overlooked or missed.

“BS 7671 regulation 132.9” said:
An interrupting device shall be installed in such a way that it can easily be recognized and effectively and rapidly operated where, in the case of danger, there is a necessity for immediate interruption of the supply

“BS 7671 regulation 134.1.1 said:
Good workmanship by one or more skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions

“BS 7671 regulation 510.3” said:
Every item of equipment shall be selected and erected so as to allow compliance with the regulations stated in this chapter and the relevant regulations in other parts of BS 7671 and shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions

Sponsored Links
I have voted 'no' because you said required.

Your question states 'isolator', 132.9 relates to an 'emergency switch'.

The regulations nowhere require local isolation for any appliance.
I think most people would agree that an emergency switch for a domestic cooker is not required nor really needed.

However, that does not mean I would not fit one for a cooker if only because most people would expect one.

What about the extractor fan whose MIs also state an isolator should be fitted plus a fuse whether necessary or not?

Where do you draw the line for which parts of the MIs you follow, and which parts you ignore?

Yes I always fit a fuse and 3 pole isolator for an extractor fan if the MIs require it.

I draw the line at what I consider is necessary for the appliance against blanket instructions written because the manufacturer thinks that is what is actually required. E.g. 3A fuse on 6A MCB circuit. Some manufacturers state (or used to) that an electric shower requires an RCD (wrong) and others state that the circuit must have an RCD (correct).

Incidentally Gas cookers do not have local isolators (except an inaccessible one if there is a bayonet hose fitting). I should have thought that was much more important than an electrical one.

Sponsored Links
Other contractors may not be prepared and should not be expected to work on appliances unless they can safely isolate preferably all poles, its not in there remit to poke round in dist boards and would be ridiculous to isolate a whole house as Winston suggests. 530.3 and 537.3.1.1 and 537.3.2.4 and 537.4.1.1
I would not want my family or any cleaning contractor swishing water round in an oven still powered up.
Do people like Winston also suggest not fitting Isolators for showers or suggesting taking them out on the numerous posts here when they burn up

Incidentally Gas cookers do not have local isolators (except an inaccessible one if there is a bayonet hose fitting). I should have thought that was much more important than an electrical one.

Turning the main gas tap at the gas meter to OFF does not leave the house in darkness. Turning the main switch in the consumer unit to OFF will leave the house without lights ( at night ).

If the cooker has a Neutral to Earth fault then disconnection by a single pole ( Live only ) switch can still result in a trip of the RCD. That could result in loss of lighting and other essential electrical equipment.

The other thing to consider is the cooker overheating due to a faulty temperature controller and having to turn power of at the consumer unit to avoid a fire.

I have also voted no. None of the regs quoted require it. Likewise an isolator is not required for a shower.

IS THE POLL ONLY INTERESTED IN FITTING LOCAL ISOLATORS WHEN THE INSTRUCTIONS REQUIRE THEM? I take it the poll is only about fitting cooker isolators when the appliance instructions ask for them ONLY.

If the instructions ask for them, and since an isolator is 'expected' anyway, and it's usually easy to fit them somewhere, I see no reason not to fit them.

I guess we will never see ( a video of ) winston1 naked and wet at his consumer unit turning OFF the power to his smoking electric shower.

Quite right. I would never use an electric shower while electricity is 4 times the cost of gas. My shower comes off the combi boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back