Is a cooker isolator required? *POLL*

Does a local DP isolator HAVE to be installed?

• Yes it required

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No it is optional

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
Sponsored Links
, it's either that or in the last 2 months you've been in the CU and changed the MCB.

Did it not occur to you that in the last two months I've had a new boiler installed and the plumber put it on a different circuit?

So yes technically the fan within the oven does require a local isolator and it seems a bit silly [and somewhat difficult without rebuilding the oven electrics] to not include the whole appliance.
I don't follow. What is that regulation?

Silly or not I'll stand by that interpretation.
Ok. Not very - what's the word - conclusive?

Regs also say to heed the MI's which my interpretation comes down to: if the manufacturer states it requires local isolation, then it will be fitted incorrectly without it acording to regs whether regs require it or not. However if the MI's contradict regs then it becomes somewhat difficult.
No it doesn't. If the manufacturer is demanding something which is not required by the regulations, then that something is not required.

Examples jump to mind - 3A fuse for extractors regardless of the circuit characteristics; could be a 3A MCB circuit.
As mentioned above, some shower manufacturers state wrongly the shower must be RCD protected and some rightly the shower circuit.
Oven manufacturers who state the oven must have a 16A fuse so whatever you do it will not comply.

Sponsored Links
I have said no, it does not rotate, and no longer do you need to follow manufacturers instructions, you only need to take them into account.

Mothers house there was an isolator behind the hob, and the sub consumer unit was next to back door which was also in the kitchen, clearly if some thing goes wrong better to isolate as you leave the house than reach over a hob. Seem to remember 350 watt limit on a motor before local isolator, but not heating element.

No it doesn't. If the manufacturer is demanding something which is not required by the regulations, then that something is not required.

Oven manufacturers who state the oven must have a 16A fuse so whatever you do it will not comply.
Does post #1 give 2 examples where the regs require MI's to be followed?

Yes I have seen the oft quoted MI. So why can a 16A fuse not be fitted?

I have said no, it does not rotate, and no longer do you need to follow manufacturers instructions, you only need to take them into account.

Mothers house there was an isolator behind the hob, and the sub consumer unit was next to back door which was also in the kitchen, clearly if some thing goes wrong better to isolate as you leave the house than reach over a hob. Seem to remember 350 watt limit on a motor before local isolator, but not heating element.
I'm not aware of a cut off point for the isolator but over 370W there is a requirement to install proper motor OCD. This reg is, like so many others, totally ignored by thousands of people.

Rather worrying that 54% of replies don’t know the regs. Who’d trust an electrician?
You haven't thought that through, have you?

Of course we know the regs. What makes you think we don't?

Are you disputing the existence of the quoted text?
Yes I have seen the oft quoted MI. So why can a 16A fuse not be fitted?

Because it is not necessary.
Because it would mean fitting an unnecessary accessory.
Because you don't have to.
Because it would be silly.
So what's the alternative?

Are you disputing the existence of the quoted text?

Are you referring to the two quotes from BS7671 which contain the statement "...shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions..."? If so, "shall take account of" does not mean the same as "required to follow". There used to be a 'requirement to follow MIs", but that got watered down to the new wording a few years back, I think when Amd3 of BS7671:2008 appeared, so discretion is now possible, rather than the previous requirement to blindly follow MIs (even if they are silly, or even wrong).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back