Is a cooker isolator required? *POLL*

Does a local DP isolator HAVE to be installed?

• Yes it required

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No it is optional

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
Sponsored Links
Why would he even have an FCU, thought he relied on the internal fuses, I am 99% sure I recall.

The FCU is to protect the cables. Most cables are big enough not to require it. That is why FCUs are not used in other countries. Internal fuses are to protect the appliance.

Sponsored Links
Not local to the shower.

It does have a switched FCU as it is otherwise on a 16A circuit.
Winston.
Why have you got a FCU for your boiler?????????????

Why on earth have you not removed it and why did you allow it to be fitted in the first place?????

Last edited:
winston1 said:
It does not NEED an FCU. What about if it is sold in mainland Europe where FCUs are not used.
We also know that in most other countries it would be wired direct to a 16 amp MCB.
If it is on its own MCB you don't need a FCU. Just size the MCB correctly (6amp).
... the boiler which will have its own internal fuse...
Are you a sparks? Ever heard of safety?
As the boiler and CU are only a few metres apart there is no need for a FCU or switch. The MCB will do for both. Ignore any rubbish by the boiler manufacturer saying a FCU is required. Boilers are sold all over Europe where FCUs are not available or compliant. Boilers have internal fuses for protection.

Winston.
Why have you got a FCU for your boiler?????????????

Why on earth have you not removed it and why did you allow it to be fitted in the first place?????
Yes. Because it is on a 32 amp circuit.

Rather worrying that 54% of replies don’t know the regs. Who’d trust an electrician?

It does have a switched FCU as it is otherwise on a 16A circuit.
Yes. Because it is on a 32 amp circuit.

Oh what a shame that someone as clever as you doesn't have a clue what you're talking about, it's either that or in the last 2 months you've been in the CU and changed the MCB. I do hope you ensured the wiring is adequate for the size of the new OCD and all of the relevant paperwork has been correctly completed.

EDIT: Of course it is possible that Winston simply doesn't know what's in his CU or even if he has a CU, you don't believe in FCU's and perhaps you don't believe in CU's either. afterall the difference is only an 'F'
Of course it could be that your posts are simply lies.

Last edited:
My interpretation of 'a safe way of isolation' is most easily provided by fitting an isolating device, such as a socket and plug or a multipole switch.
In the past I've encountered a 'special case' as the regs do 'require' a local isolator for a motor. Bathroom fans are motors, Fan ovens contain a motor as do the washing machine and dishwasher, Rotisories contain a motor, fridges contain a motor, Pond pumps contain a motor, as does the sewing machine, Our ceiling fan is built around a motor, Central heating pumps are motors and of course modern boilers contain motorised fans, Heck even my laptop contains a motor, in fact several...

So in my opinion a FAN oven requires a local isolator.

My interpretation of 'a safe way of isolation' is most easily provided by fitting an isolating device, such as a socket and plug or a multipole switch.
Yes, but it is not required by the regulations.
If it is required by the manufacturer for no valid reason then it is wrongly required .

In the past I've encountered a 'special case' as the regs do 'require' a local isolator for a motor.
OK. Is that not a safety or emergency switch?

Bathroom fans are motors, Fan ovens contain a motor as do the washing machine and dishwasher, Rotisories contain a motor, fridges contain a motor, Pond pumps contain a motor, as does the sewing machine, Our ceiling fan is built around a motor, Central heating pumps are motors and of course modern boilers contain motorised fans, Heck even my laptop contains a motor, in fact several...
So in my opinion a FAN oven requires a local isolator.
Now you are being silly.

This is like notification.

Some people look for excuses to make notifiable work not notifiable and some look for ways to make non-notifiable work notifiable but the regulation will tell you if it is or not.

Yes, but it is not required by the regulations.
If it is required by the manufacturer for no valid reason then it is wrongly required .

OK. Is that not a safety or emergency switch?

Now you are being silly.
OK yes I am highlighting some of the situations which do seem to be bizarre and I've deliberately added some which would not generally be considered.
I haven't looked at this subject for a number of years but I hope I recall correctly from 16th that motors do require local isolation. In the 'control' environment such details will be scrutinised with a fine tooth comb and ANY rotating device within the controlled system will soon be snagged if it doesn't have a local means of isolation. I've even had a papst fan ventilating the control panel snagged as the only means of individually isolating it was an MCB within the panel and even that was not double pole. When the consultant is breathing the reg at you there is no arguement.

So yes technically the fan within the oven does require a local isolator and it seems a bit silly [and somewhat difficult without rebuilding the oven electrics] to not include the whole appliance.

Silly or not I'll stand by that interpretation.

Regs also say to heed the MI's which my interpretation comes down to: regs require it if the manufacturer states it's required, whether regs specifically require it or not.
However if the MI's contradict regs [and I've had situations where they do] then it becomes somewhat difficult.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back