Is a main switch needed on a sub board?

But who is to decide what is best practice?

The cost cutting bodger builder ?
The have a go DIYer?
The 60 year old spark who's been on the job for 40+ years?
A person straight out of fast track training with little or no actual experience?

Sponsored Links
As we are in this particular thread, I'd say full isolation of any item is good practice although not required by the regs.
A plug and socket is a valid means.✔
For anything wired in, such as a cooker, it does in my opinion require a local isolating switch ✔
and I'm equally comfortable wth such a switch for a cluster of appliances such as hob, oven and microwave ✔
Especially followed by single pole OCPD's.✔✔✔

Well, surely it must be the people who write the Best Practice Guides.

Isn't that NICEIC? Who could argue with them?

Certainly isn't solely the NICEIC. Its a plethora of names but this debate seems to be a bit unnecessary as it has no reference point.

Napit are one of the contributors BUT their "Code breakers" publication is at odds to the EICR best practice guide - which is very odd, to say the least.

As for having a 2 way enclosure with MCB's in it - I certainly wouldn't do that

Sponsored Links
But who is to decide what is best practice?
As,I recently wrote:
"Good practice" is vague, and to an appreciable extent subjective, so is essentially "in the eye of the beholder" - and it would be pretty odd if you did not regard your 'personal preference' as being 'good practice' ;)
.... despite what some people might like to think, it's far from being an absolute concept but, rather an individual 'personal' opinion (and on the part of an individual person or some organisations) - and, as for 'best practice', as I went on to writec.
"Best practice is even worse, and probably rarely exists - since someone will usually come along proposing something 'even better'!
...again, very much an individual/personal opinion - and anyone who claims to know what is 'best practice' in any particular situation is not only silly but also arrogant, since the implication is that they don't believe that anyone could ever come up with anything 'better'

...again, very much an individual/personal opinion - and anyone who claims to know what is 'best practice' in any particular situation is not only silly but also arrogant, since the implication is that they don't believe that anyone could ever come up with anything 'better'

You do write utter nonsense

John, could we come nearer to aligning of agreements is we rethought "good practice" as "fairly good practice (not bad practice) " and best practice as a better practice ?
We could do that. but no amount of playing with the words will alter the fact that choice between those words is subjective judgement, and sowill vary between individual people and organisations.

About the only 'absolute is (because of its nature) BS7671, and I suppose one could say that it represent an 'acceptable' standard (since it would be very odd if compliance with 'The Wiring Regulations'resulted in something that was 'less than adequate). Anything beyond that then becomes 'more than adequate', but using different words to describe different degrees of 'more' is always going to be subjective,hence not really particularly useful!

Kind Regards, John

I do not see any of that even coming close to being described as "utter nonsense" are you on some kind of vendetta?
It's very much a 'continuing vendetta' (against just one person) and one can but speculate about why I have been 'singled out' - but it does seem that he in unhappy with a situation in which a non-electrician may occasionally have something correct and useful to say!

I was initially pretty annoyed, but am now just amused by how he continues to choose to 'spend his time' :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back