Is a New Kitchen Socket Notifiable?

Ok ok ok...!

To try to clarify, and I don't know much about electrics so my terminology won't be great, but the oven is on a dedicated cooker circuit with a switch. The previous gas hob was wired directly to a cable which seems, as far as I can tell, to spur off from a nearby socket on the ring main. The old hob didn't have a plug so the cable went straight into it. Electrician is proposing to fit a socket (a box type one, not fitted into the wall, rather on to it or in a cupboard) and plug the hob into it.

Is that notifiable? If so, what should the electrician provide me with? Or does he do it all himself and I don't need to worry about getting anything other than an invoice?

Sponsored Links
Normal situation for a gas hob is that the flex runs to a fused outlet plate. If it did then the fused outlet plate could be used to connect the new gas hob via cutting off the plug.

What appears in doubt is that the old hob wiring was done without any fuse between it and the ring main (socket), if that is correct that can't be replicated because that was wrong.

So as you say either a new socket or a new fused spur is required, that work is notifiable pre 6 th April 2013, post April it isn't.

As to the work standard it must be to 17th edition, so the circuit should run via an rcd and earth bonding for gas and water needs to be in place. Along side the invoice you will need a certificate, minor works with some basic tests noted. In turn the electrician needs to tell his scheme provider as a notifiable jo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back