Is a really large flat roof totally OK these days?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My latest plan .... original house layout below my mad idea. Reasoning - if I do a flat roof, this is possible under permitted development, which means nobody can stop me (other than my bank manager). Two advantages of this: we get a bedroom that overlooks the garden with nice Juliet window (120 foot garden, not over looked at back either). We remove pitched roof above kitchen and flatten, put in 2 dormers (5-6m) each side, leaving just a little of the original roof to replace - the original roof is old, some past woodworm, no felt, generally about time it was replaced. So, the office space will be "Velux" only, but will also have a window to front on gable. Stairs and bathroom will have obscure glass windows.

Might actually reduce the size of the downstairs extension, as this was the plan before doing the loft. Don't need that much space, could easily lose one of those middle rooms.

Surveyor confirmed the house have never been extended, so can go back 8m under PD.

8m long permitted development rear extension.png

Sponsored Links
not exactly sure where you are going here
but as long as you realize you cannot use the roof a terrace without planning permission which in general will not be granted in a normal close housing situation[closer than perhaps 200metres]
you also would need to plan on the structural strength and top layer suitable for footfall and extra loading

really, just asking if an 8m flat roof is considered OK? I have read some comments about flat roofs having problems ever time, and this is more likely as they get larger. Also, read about some insurance companies not liking them. Although, others have commented that nothing wrong with big flat roofs these days. Just concerrned that my latest plan might have some major flaws etc. Will obviously have a structural engineer or similar do all the calcs for it, and do it all properly.

in general you have a small fall but the larger the area the more chance deviations will cause pooling off water that will cause problems with damage

Sponsored Links
Large flat roof = huge firrings and massive fascia unless it is designed out.

also you are correct insurance companies also ask if there are flat roofs over certain percentage of the total roof area . I presume because they lead to higher numbers of claims. that said properly designed and fitted they will be fine.

Depends which way you're facing. It's in the back garden, road is to the right. Easier to plan sideways on my monitor!

Reckon something like this would be more sensible. ... one concern is that the bedroom window will look out mostly onto the roof, so maybe extending the roof back to original rear wall, and making the extension shorter, but having a pretty glazed space for dining in the kitchen, would work better...

154 plan.png

Was joking. Road is to the right, rear to the left.

Hopefully the front! Could it be considered the side? The front has 2 bay windows, but the entrance is on the side.... #confused

upload_2017-6-5_20-21-50.png

That's what you need to be sure of before planning any work under PD.

Impressive stack, btw.

Yeah, it is a tall one, isn't it!
I'll be putting the plans in for the pd cert thing anyway, so let's see what they come back with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back