Is a scaffold even possible here?

Si_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I viewed a house today that requires roofing work (which would require a scaffold at the front and the side), conservatory work and repainting (again, requiring a scaffold at the side). My first thought, even before 'Why do people not just do basic maintenance on their houses?', is 'How on earth would you get a scaffold set up here?'

To describe further, there is no land beyond the conservatory / garage for a scaffold bridge. Not only is the garage in the way, but the property does not extend beyond that. It drops off onto someone else's property which is nigh inaccessible.

To add to that, the driveway slopes to an extent greater than it appears in the photo. The roof of the conservatory is flimsy and unsuited to bearing any weight.

If anyone can give their professional or informed opinions I'd be grateful. Thanks.

scaffold-evil.jpg

Sponsored Links
You'd take a sheet out of the conservatory roof for the poles

A Woody says, it is customary to remove sheets. The downside is that it is virtually impossible to divert any rain water.

Sponsored Links
From what I've seen the rain already has VIP access to the conservatory. But yes, I see what you mean.

Surely you would put a couple of beams across the roof?
If the scaffolders could input the details into their software or manually design a solution the proves the conservatory roof will hold up the scaffold, yes. I doubt that they could prove it unless they could prop under the roof too - in which case they could not certify the scaffold.

But one or two standards inside at the far end, and a bridge would appear to be the least disruptive.

It's possible, I'd even say with some clever thinking you could likely even do it without touching the conservatory.

Last edited:
A cherry picker would give you access to your verges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back