Is all lighter fuel the same?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
just a quickie..

I bought an 'everlasting match' off the bay the other day, as you do. I was about to buy some fuel for it when someone mentioned there are different types..

can anyone shed any light on this please?

cheers
Rich

Sponsored Links
There are different grades of both the gas and liquid types. Some are purified and you get a cleaner burn.

If it is a petrol lighter, (has cotton wool packed into the base and a small fibre pad to soak up the 'petrol'), then you can buy two different types of 'petrol' or lighter fluid as it should correctly be termed.
One is bog standard stuff for use in general lighters. The other is 'Zippo Fluid' which the manufacturers of Zippo lighters state you should use for best performance from their product. I have used both in my Zippo's and can't see any difference. Lighter catches virtually every time and stays lit until you close it, even in a strong wind.

Sponsored Links
Why are you concerned about the best lighter fuel and not about your lungs?

it is for an 'everlasting match', to be used to light camp stoves, candles etc. I don't smoke.

I've heard rumours of some of the cheaper gas lighters slowly leaking but even so as joe suggests they are a better job than a petrol lighter which are fine if you use them all the time but even the best suffer from evaporation so unsuitable for occasional use. Personally I too don't smoke but tend to carry a gas lighter and keep lighter fuel in stock more for its cleaning properties .

Sponsored Links
Back