Is boiler underspec?

Sponsored Links
I am using a Google Nest and schedules and self-learning have been removed. There seemed to be an issue when the Thermostat was connected to WIFI in that the temp would stay at 16C. Disconnecting the thermostat from the network allowed the temp to get to around 19C, still not enough though.

I am pretty much house bound and the boiler is in the loft along with the Google Hat Link which I think should be located downstairs if I need to get to it.

Agreed the heat link should be located where it is likely to get a good strong WiFi signal.

Also sounds like there is something wrong with the settings with the nest. Maybe switching to the hive may be better for them if they are more used to it, as long as they don't charge you for the pleasure of them doing so

My rads don't produce enough heat at 55c, but the engineers advised that the rads do not need replacing.
Interesting

Yeah they dont need replacing the boiler just needs to be set correctly.

If you wished for the heating to be a low temp heating system then you would replace the rads, but I just wanted a new boiler.

Unfortunately sounds like it's been done by monkeys who can sling a boiler on a wall but don't know how they operate.

Question- if a boiler is rated as (for instance) 18kw, is that rating at a specified water output temperature? If the rating is at a specified output temperature, what happens when you reduce that output temperature? Does the boiler increase the flow rate so the same energy per hour is moved around the house or does the flow rate stay constant so energy output reduces.

Sponsored Links
Boiler outputs are often specified with two different flow/return temperatures, the lower ones because the boiler is more efficient as it condenses more might mean a increase of 1 to 1.5kw for a 18kw boiler but it is the heat emitters that determines its output up to its max rating. Rads are rated on a 50 deg basis which is the mean rad temperature minus the required rooms temperature, generally taken as 20C, a rad with flow/return temps of 75C/65C will have a mean temp of 70C, 70C minus 20C is 50C so a 50 deg rad or 100% rated output, a rad with 55/45C flow/return will only emit 51% of its rated output. (30/50)^1.3.

The easiest way to see if the boiler is underspecked is to take the gas meter readings over say 3 minutes or so, the boiler output can then be calculated.

Last edited:
My rads don't produce enough heat at 55c, but the engineers advised that the rads do not need replacing.
Interesting..

Your rads may not provide enough heat at flow 55°C when the weather is at it's worth but if sized correctly will at a flow of 75°.

Whenever the weather is warmer however (the vast majority of the heating season) they will be adequate at the lower flow temperatures therefore chose a control system that aligns flow temperature with prevailing conditions and will increase or reduce flow temperatures accordingly.

I think based on above I will ask engineers to increase boiler output to 65C or thereabouts. When I told them that before they advised me that that would not be efficient! They don't seem to want to listen to me.

I am also wondering if the HeatLink is too close to the boiler. It is located right next to it and been advised it should be at least 30cms away. They should relocate it anyway as I cannot climbs the loft should I need access to the HeatLink for a reset etc.

Replacing the Nest with a Hive will probably not solve the problem unless the Nest is faulty which I very much doubt.

This will be the seventh visit, getting a bit tired of this now.

getting a bit tired of this now.

I'm not surprised! Are you having to pay for these visits, or are they still covered by the original installation agreement?

It must be hugely frustrating if the engineers aren't listening to you. Do you have anyone who can help you? I know you can't access the boiler yourself, but turning up the temperature is such an easy thing to do if you have someone who could help you. That seems the most obvious thing to try, before changing the thermostat system. Turn it all the way up to 75 and see if it makes a big difference.

Gas consumption is measured in cubic metres not £ Price of gas has gone up in recent months !
Correct, that is how I measured the usage.

So why did you go for a more expensive undersized boiler in contradiction to the design spec.
The other two quotes were before I was approved for the grant,

The tax payer helped buy your boiler and now you're complaining ?
I have a disability and a vulnerable person, not complaining,

I asked a technical question on the correct forum in which you seemed to have answered in the second sentence. You sound very toxic get back into your box sir!

A toxic person is anyone whose behavior adds negativity and upset to your life. Many times, people who are toxic are dealing with their own stresses and traumas. To do this, they act in ways that don't present them in the best light and usually upset others along the way!

Yet another poster who asks a question, doesn’t like the answer, then somehow actually “knows” the answer!

I don’t full agre with Hacks point on efficiency, but it is a bit weird that you selected the most expeuquite, despite offering a smaller, probably undersized , boiler.

One can only conclude that the “Grant” element factored into the odd selection

I don’t full agre with Hacks point on efficiency, but it is a bit weird that you selected the most expeuquite, despite offering a smaller, probably undersized , boiler.

One can only conclude that the “Grant” element factored into the odd selection

Later in the thread, the OP explains that they had no choice in the matter, and the boiler was sized and specified as part of the grant assessment.

No they dont

Most new thermostats use TPI or similar algorithm.

The study into the effectiveness of these thermostats showed they actually increased energy use. And it concluded that it was probably because most people didn't understand how they worked. In the past, if you set a mechanical thermostat to say 22C, it might cut the boiler off at 23C, and everyone was used to that. But with TPI it might cut off initially at 20.5C. And many people find this confusing, so they just turn the temperature up until the boiler comes on again.

Last edited:
Your rads may not provide enough heat at flow 55°C when the weather is at it's worth but if sized correctly will at a flow of 75°.

Whenever the weather is warmer however (the vast majority of the heating season) they will be adequate at the lower flow temperatures therefore chose a control system that aligns flow temperature with prevailing conditions and will increase or reduce flow temperatures accordingly.
On the Bosch boilers you have to use the Bosch proprietary controls to use this feature.

I'm not aware of any opentherm adaptors for the Bosch boilers like there are with vaillant

Most new thermostats use TPI or similar algorithm.

The study into the effectiveness of these thermostats showed they actually increased energy use. And it concluded that it was probably because most people didn't understand how they worked. In the past, if you set a mechanical thermostat to say 22C, it might cut the boiler off at 23C, and everyone was used to that. But with TPI it might cut off initially at 20.5C. And many people find this confusing, so they just turn the temperature up until the boiler comes on again.

Have you a link to that study please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back