Is boiler underspec?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the boiler should be adjusted from 55C to 75C?

I did another test, and the heating will only get as far as 19C. I placed the temp reader in various locations of the house.
Did you do this test with the boiler temp at 75C?
The heating never reached above 19C despite being set to say 24C. The old boiler used to heat the house very quickly and alot higher than 19c
What temperature was the old boiler set at??

Were any radiators replaced when the boiler was installed? Have you tried not heating the whole house? (if you don't have any modern control gear, just turn off 2 or 3 less needed radiators (usually bedrooms) at the start of a heating period, see if/how quickly the heated areas achieve temperature.
EDIT Did your previous quotes include any heatloss calcs for the house?
EDIT 2- This is a problem with heating grants- you the end user get little or no say in what boiler is installed- you'll get the cheapest or whatever the installer had kicking about that's close enough.
1 in 3 ECO payments are 100% fraudulent i.e. never installed.
4 in every 5 claims are fraudulent in their claims to justify payment where it does not apply
Trustmark allow and encourage the fraudulent use qualifications i.e. use other individuals numbers so work can be carried out by unregulated and unqualified people
All of this £00's of 000,000's is added to the bills of every energy user

Sponsored Links
Dunno if it’s like my Vaillant but apart from setting the temperature, I can also set the maximum output. I have my 18Kw boiler set at 14kw. Can that be done on this boiler and if so, has it been set up at less than maximum output?

Dunno if it’s like my Vaillant but apart from setting the temperature, I can also set the maximum output. I have my 18Kw boiler set at 14kw. Can that be done on this boiler and if so, has it been set up at less than maximum output?
I am not sure if this can be done, but I will ask them.

What I did find out was that my previous boiler was 24kw and has been replaced it with an 18kw. When I queried this the engineers advised me that the boiler I have now will be more efficient. Wish my Gas bill would reflect this.

The engineers are blaming the issue(s) I am experiencing on the Google Nest and are going to replace it with a Hive.

Currently I have no hot water or heating but as said when the heating was working I could only get to around 17 degrees. The engineers tested the radiators and advised me the radiators were fine.

I am sure setting the 18kw boiler at 55c does not necessarily make it run efficiently. Why was my boiler replaced with a lower spec boiler.

I've got a 4 bed house 11 rads and the 18kw boiler is fine.

The low temp setting of 55 degrees could be the cause if your radiators aren't oversized for the rooms they are in.

I am not sure if this can be done, but I will ask them.

What I did find out was that my previous boiler was 24kw and has been replaced it with an 18kw. When I queried this the engineers advised me that the boiler I have now will be more efficient. Wish my Gas bill would reflect this.

The engineers are blaming the issue(s) I am experiencing on the Google Nest and are going to replace it with a Hive.

Currently I have no hot water or heating but as said when the heating was working I could only get to around 17 degrees. The engineers tested the radiators and advised me the radiators were fine.

I am sure setting the 18kw boiler at 55c does not necessarily make it run efficiently. Why was my boiler replaced with a lower spec boiler.

I wouldn't replace the nest for a hive the hive gives no benefit and isn't technically any different other than the nest can also be wired in opentherm mode.

I've got a 4 bed house 11 rads and the 18kw boiler is fine.

The low temp setting of 55 degrees could be the cause if your radiators aren't oversized for the rooms they are in.
Ok that's nice to know. Thanks

And no, the rads are not oversized for the rooms they're in. I can get the engineers to increase the boiler output to 60c or thereabouts when they visit tomorrow. 60c or higher?

It is in the loft so a no go for me as I have a disability.

Turn it up to 65 and see how you get on!
May even need 70 degrees depending on emitters.
Don’t expect to boil a kettle on a tea light!
Should and must have two different meanings.
Ah ok just read this. I will get them to change it to 65c and see how it goes.

I wouldn't replace the nest for a hive the hive gives no benefit and isn't technically any different other than the nest can also be wired in opentherm mode.
Yes that was my thinking. I think the engineers should set the boiler output higher and retest. Sounds like they dont know how to work with Google Nest devices and it is all smoke and mirrors.

Ok that's nice to know. Thanks

And no, the rads are not oversized for the rooms they're in. I can get the engineers to increase the boiler output to 60c or thereabouts when they visit tomorrow. 60c or higher?

It is in the loft so a no go for me as I have a disability.

To add to that my house is a 70s built house and aswell insulated as can get without ripping floors up and celotex on the outside. But it's always had an 18kw boiler.

How was your boiler that was removed?

Your system might be old enough that it was designed to run at 70 degrees

Last edited:
My preb
To add to that my house is a 79's built house and aswell insulated as can get without ripping floors up and xelotex on the outside. But it's always had N 18kw boiler.

How was your boiler that was removed?

Your system might be old enough that t was designed to run at 70 degrees
My house is early 1900s and the boiler was over 20 years old a Potterton. It did heat the house well but was not efficient.

Are you saying that, when I replace my boiler, I will have to fit new radiators, if the current ones can't produce enough heat at 55C?
Yes, if that's what you want the new boiler to run at

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back