Is bowing wall, a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a bulge in my wall and really just want to know if it is an issue or whether it can be left and see what happens? Any help would be very, very much appreciated. I want it to be safe, but want to avoid spending too much if not necessary. It is to be a rental property.

It is a 3-storey, mid terrace 1850's built, town house.

The bulge is in the brickwork, at second floor level to the rear elevation. It is probably ~20mm off from the vertical over 2m in height.

Until recently, it had a very heavy boiler hung from it. This, we have now removed and re-sited on the ground floor.

Solid party wall to the left, ~1ft of plaster and artex is loose. Not fallen off yet.

Internal lathe and plaster wall to the right also shows hairline crack and shows approx three-quarter inch gap where it meets the brickwork of the external wall.

There are no signs of cracking to the brickwork, either internal or externally.

If I thump the wall, it does vibrate.

Any thoughts? What are the remedial measures?

I don't really want to instal tie-rods. None of the other properties in the terrace appear to be suffering the same. If they are, then it has been ignored.

Many thanks to everyone who may be able to help.

Sponsored Links
Unless the bulge has just occurred suddenly then just monitor it over the next year.

Any wall vibrates when you thump it.

Adding to freddymercurystwin. An old 20mm bulge that is stable should not be something to worry about. I would consider it safe.

Hi Freddiemercurystwin and Blagard,

Thank you so very much for finding the time to reply.

That is exactly the response that I was hoping for. I was absolutely dreading the alternative. At least I can sleep a little easier for the time being.

All the best!

RrogerD

Sponsored Links
As said a 20mm bulge isn't worth considering and most women will continue to walk past in any case......:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back