Is buteline really that bad?!

You've used it then? Obviously thought it was ok?
It was site work,pipe & fittings already on site.All specified by the building designer :mad:

Had to buy the clamp tools thou,not cheap :sick:. The pressure test found a couple out of 300 ish fittings used to be leaky :cautious:.

would not use it or any plastic in my own place (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Another thing to remember is the ‘setting’ time. You need to keep the clamp shut for 10 seconds after clamping. The clamping force causes enough heat to fuse the pipe and fitting together, so needs to keep reassure while it fuses.

I use buteline all the time, buy enough of it and you'll get the tools for free, 28mm can be a bit cumbersome and you do have to plan ahead as getting the tool in can be difficult, it can do secondary hot water and they do ufh as well now.

Hi all,
I'd pretty much decided on using buteline for a complete central heating overhaul. Then last night I came across quite a few threads about it leakingbetc etc, but i couldn't really decide if it was installation error, or that the product is actually crap. Has anyone actually used the stuff or been to sort out a leaking buteline install?
It seemed perfect :(

Next, if buteline is ****e..... what should I use?
I'm leaning towards copper again.

Is the 50m rolls of copper alright or is it a waste of money?
Cheers as always,
Alex

Sponsored Links
To all those who genuinely want to know about buteline.

I have used it for years and to date, never had a single leak. The tools are simple. The pipe sizes are 16mm, 22mm and 28mm. Crimps are manual or battery. The pipe is a typical (nothing special) multilayer plastic pipe.

I carry a large number of the fittings in my van. Excellent product. The only complaint I have is the 16mm pipe. Means you have to use a Buteline adaptor to get to 15mm. Uponor is the same. 22 and 28mm are fine. If you want to convert, just use a compression iron. Almost impossible on the 16mm though. I have slightly filed the pipe to get the olive on and that has worked, but time consuming, so now I just use the correct fitting. Huge range of fittings to choose from. Impossible to leak AS LONG AS FITTED CORRECTLY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back