is coving out of fashion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
speaking to few people this week and they have told me that not many people have coving done now and the fashion is to have square corners, is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Coving is so last century. Rip it out, and before the plasterer arrives, rip out those cr@p downlights too.

Unless you are intending to sell your house anytime soon I would decorate however you like.

If you like coving fit coving. If you like pink wavey wallpaper then fit it :D

I don't decorate my house to please anyone other than myself.

Sponsored Links
Completely a personal choice and depends totally on the age/style of the home. I like it; I think it looks far better than an exposed corner between wall meeting ceiling.

Friend who runs a fireplace/coving shop over in Nottingham said solid plaster coving is selling very well.

yep in the right context, then putting back original or features contemporary to the period of the house will enhance it.
Whereas 4" gyproc coving has never been contemporary to any architectural period and in my opinion never looks right, same as ornate Georgian coving in a new build house. It's all about context.

I have an old house very low ceiling, I added square plaster coving recently, transformed the room. A builder friend even suggested I did it, which was nice as I hadn't told him that I was thinking of doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back