Is Gas Oil the same as Diesel???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere today that "Gas Oil" (as used instead of kero to fuel some older oil boilers) is the same as the Diesel in my car... Now. I am currently undergoing a renovation of my property, including ripping out the old 1970's gas oil boiler and replacing it with a new modern Grant condensing oil boiler (running on kero).

This means I have a big 1500 litre tank of gas oil (about half full of liquid that looks pale yellow) in my back garden which I thought I was going to have to simply dispose of... Here's the deal: SHOULD I BE KEEPING THE GAS OIL AND CHUCKING IT INTO MY DIESEL POWERED CAR??? What would happen? Will I wreck the engine? It's not red - will I get in trouble with the law or my car warranty? Thoughts?? It's a lot of money to chuck away if I can use it.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Kerosene is class C1 28 sec, whereas gas oil is class D 35 sec (same as red diesel) and therefore cannot be legally used as road fuel unless by agricultural equipment, due to tax concessions.
The oil supply companies may buy it back from you though.
John :)

You can get the forms to fill in I believe from HMRC through which you can pay the appropriate level of duty. These are designed for the increasing use of DIY bio diesel.

The main difference will be the quality of the fuel - it will likely have different or no additives compared to that which you find in forecourt diesel.

I agree - it will be minimum spec.....similar to the stuff that supermarkets originally sold. (Which means it will burn perfectly well :p )
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes it'll run your car, no you can't run your car legally on it without paying extra tax (but if it's not got any red dye in it it could be argued that it's actually impossible to tell that it's not forecourt diesel)

Yes it'll run your car, no you can't run your car legally on it without paying extra tax (but if it's not got any red dye in it it could be argued that it's actually impossible to tell that it's not forecourt diesel)

There are some chemicals in it, markers, that can be detected by an HMRC roadside test, even if the red dye has been removed. If they catch you using red diesel, you'll be in line for all manner of unpleasantness. There's probably more tests in rural areas to catch naughty farmers using agricultural fuel.

You may have kerosene. your engine won't like that at all.

Sell it on E-bay.

Farmers can use red diesel travelling from farm to farm where they are farming.

Most vehicles here in sa are either on red or laundered diesel. If the government had a sensible tax on it then that wouldn't be necessary.
We used to run the lorry on half kero and half diesel as the kero was dirt cheap.

Back in 05 it was 22 pence. Today its in the sixties.

Most vehicles here in sa are either on red or laundered diesel. If the government had a sensible tax on it then that wouldn't be necessary.

Are you in South Africa?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back