Is it a good idea to laminate under a plinth or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK so we've just fitted our kitchen (just got the plinth to go) and lay the laminate flooring. I am saying that it would be better to lay the plinth first and laminate up to that, leaving a thin space all around of course using laminate flooring spacers. My DB is saying that the laminate should be laid first with the plinth going over the top (I'm not talking to the walls by the way, just so it sticks randomly under the kitchen cupboards if you know what I mean. I don't really like the sound of the last idea, mainly as laminate can move, and I have seen laminate that has had gaps in it (although maybe this wasn't the click stuff or something). So do people do both of these methods or is one better to use than the other? Which do people tend to use? Laying it tomorrow by the way so any advice between now and then would be great. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
do you want a 12mm gap between the plinth and flooring ??
you would have to cover it with a moulding :D

always under remember the plinth is loose and light not wedged tight

Well I always tend to use beading anyway to hide the gap after I've laminated. My 'under the plinth' unsure-ness was more about getting possible laminate gaps at some point in the future, as of course I recognise the benefits to this also. (Is this possible with the click stuff anyhow?) Ta.

Well I always tend to use beading anyway to hide the gap after I've laminated. My 'under the plinth' unsure-ness was more about getting possible laminate gaps at some point in the future, as of course I recognise the benefits to this also. (Is this possible with the click stuff anyhow?) Ta.
in this instance you will never get a gap with good planing as you can extend several inches under the plinth without showing
obviously at the carcase you have to be accurate but only that 16mm

Sponsored Links
Great thanks! Also wondering if ordinary gafa tape is suitable for the moisture barrier? It's not anything special is it? Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back