Is it a requirement to have a second stopcock in the boiler cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mains water supply goes under the driveway into the front of the garage where there is a large stopcock. It then travels about 3 foot into the boiler cupboard, still inside the garage, where there is another stopcock just before the multiblock and next to the boiler. That stopcock is leaking, can I just replace it with a bit of pipe given there's another stopcock just before it?

Sponsored Links
Does the second stopcock just isolate the boiler or the whole house. If its just the boiler, it may be worth having it there so the boiler can be worked on whilst keeping water supply to toilets etc.

Does the second stopcock just isolate the boiler or the whole house. If its just the boiler, it may be worth having it there so the boiler can be worked on whilst keeping water supply to toilets etc.

Nope, both stopcocks do the same thing. Pipe doesn't tee off anywhere between the two.

I just wanted to check in case there's some reg or something whereby a stopcock must be X minimum distance from the boiler for easy access.

Sponsored Links
Fir the time and effort you may as well use one of these. Unless you handy at soldering.

I'm just using this and some 22mm pipe. There's one of those limescale fighter things above the stop cock which by all accounts seems to be snake oil, so might remove that too

I'm just using this and some 22mm pipe. There's one of those limescale fighter things above the stop cock which by all accounts seems to be snake oil, so might remove that too

If you get limescale you may just want to replace it if it's old.
It may have just done you a job.

Why is there 2, is the first one seized? That would be the usual reason why there would be one right after another

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back