Is it acceptable quality?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

What’s your opinion regarding quality of painting and plastering on the photos below?
Not everything was replastered, only the ceiling on the first photo actually

Is the painter responsible to fill and sand everything or not? Is it ok he didn’t paint behind the radiators?
In case of plastering+painting, where does the job of the plasterer “ends”? He insists that the painter should fix all the imperfections after him?

What I see is quite annoying for me but maybe I do have inadequate requirements? Nobody wants to take responsibility that’s why I decided to post here to hear some independent opinions. The painter came and tried to sand few spots on the ceiling (after everything was painted and I complained regarding quality) and they now look even worse:(

Thanks

Attachments

• 53649864-D540-49B0-A9B8-09951D36475E.jpeg
    53649864-D540-49B0-A9B8-09951D36475E.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 171
  • AF770C86-37A3-47D8-BE78-DEF08E87C56D.jpeg
    AF770C86-37A3-47D8-BE78-DEF08E87C56D.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 3F0629B4-2900-4727-8293-F0E5A3C5FA6C.jpeg
    3F0629B4-2900-4727-8293-F0E5A3C5FA6C.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 0A385083-AFD4-4CC3-9D25-FF248BACE8D4.jpeg
    0A385083-AFD4-4CC3-9D25-FF248BACE8D4.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 179
  • D88E05E2-E57A-4A30-9358-3F6CF916CEBC.jpeg
    D88E05E2-E57A-4A30-9358-3F6CF916CEBC.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 4DFBDCAE-9C67-419F-9E66-F8E8DC5F15E8.jpeg
    4DFBDCAE-9C67-419F-9E66-F8E8DC5F15E8.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 4D6D53C6-A8FC-40F7-B1FC-72436C246A74.jpeg
    4D6D53C6-A8FC-40F7-B1FC-72436C246A74.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 7D62C183-64F8-4C8C-9C9F-A716CD29670B.jpeg
    7D62C183-64F8-4C8C-9C9F-A716CD29670B.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
Obviously it depends on if you asked the painter to fill all the holes visible before they quoted.
Plus is that first photo the newly plastered ceiling? That is awful. It would be the plasterers job to leave you with a nice flat ceiling. That looks very uneven.
When did the decorator give you the quote? Was it before the ceiling was done?
Is the plasterer saying it's the decorators job to fill and level that ceiling?

The decorator gave me his quote when the ceiling was already plastered but still wet
But somehow I couldn’t see it was uneven up until it was painted (I don’t know if he could, is it possible that it wasn’t before painting??), so I didn’t ask the plasterer to fix it before painting started and the decorator also said nothing to me when doing the job like “you need to redo this ceiling otherwise it’ll look ugly”

Yes, the plasterer is now saying it’s the decorators job to fill and sand the imperfections. He also did some ceilings and walls in other rooms and all is ok everywhere, so can’t say he’s generally not good at it

Yes I did ask to fill the holes before they quoted and they defo filled some on the walls, not all of them though, and forgot to fill the ceilings…

If you've asked the decorator to fill holes before painting and they haven't then it would be the decorator who needs to put this right.
However, that newly plastered ceiling looks terrible and no decorator would be able to just fill and sand that to look flat. It looks like it needs a whole new skim! Unless it's the photo making it look very uneven. I mean, just look along the edges. How is a painter supposed to cut in to that?

Sponsored Links
I'll play the opposite card to chivas.

The decorator should fill holes regardless, this is just part of doing a good job. Any Muppet can fling paint at a wall.

It is assumed the decorator will do his job professionally and of high quality, advising that you didn't specify holes to be filled in is balls, and a get out of jail free card

It's like taking your car in for a service and they don't change the oil filter. "Sorry guv you only asked for an oil change, if you wanted the filter doing aswell you should have specified it".

Botox.

The plasteres done a crap job and the painter has done a crap job.

It all looks an utter mess - how much did you pay for this work ? I ask this as it is important, if you have went for really cheap then you have got what you paid for, good tradesmen are not cheap and don't leave a mess like what has happened, and good tradesmen won't agree to do a half arsed job for less money.

I take it someone has skimmed plaster over an old knackered ceiling ? I would be surprised any decent plasterer would have agreed to do that, it probably need pulled down and re-boarded then skimmed (but we're getting into money there)

Obviously I'm not talking about general holes and repair. I mean the painting itself in some of those picture is terrible. Is that a finished job around the window frame?

There's holes and then there's the above! The whole walls are uneven. To fill and sand it all to look flat would put days on the job and if that is what the customer wanted I would advise a skim!

I do agree in this instance it looks like both parties are cowboys!

Last edited:
Must admit I only looked at the photo of the green wall.

Looking at the others yea it would be a lot to ask to fill them, the decorator would have to put his on skim coat of filler on.

However if it was me as the decorator I'd have said I'm not painting the walls in their current condition. It'll be this much extra for me to make good, or I'd advise they get the plasterer back to redo it.

Must admit I only looked at the photo of the green wall.

Looking at the others yea it would be a lot to ask to fill them, the decorator would have to put his on skim coat of filler on.

However if it was me as the decorator I'd have said I'm not painting the walls in their current condition. It'll be this much extra for me to make good, or I'd advise they get the plasterer back to redo it.

Fair play
I mean, just look at that 4th picture. If that is the finished job wtf! Look at the green cutting in. I wonder if they had their eyes shut!

It all looks an utter mess - how much did you pay for this work ? I ask this as it is important, if you have went for really cheap then you have got what you paid for, good tradesmen are not cheap and don't leave a mess like what has happened, and good tradesmen won't agree to do a half arsed job for less money.

I take it someone has skimmed plaster over an old knackered ceiling ? I would be surprised any decent plasterer would have agreed to do that, it probably need pulled down and re-boarded then skimmed (but we're getting into money there)
I payed £600 for plastering 2 ceilings (11m2 which is shown on 1 photo+25m2 which is fine) and walls in 1 small bedroom (yellow walls, they are ok as well). He did in 1.5 days.
I payed £1300 for painting 2 small bedrooms incl woodwork. 2 painters did in 2 days.
I live in London and £250-300 per day is an average rate for this jobs, cheap tradesman would be £150-200 per day.

It was an artex ceiling. I had the same in my bathroom which was skimmed over and looks perfect. But I wouldn’t mind if they advised to use plasterboard there, considering it costs £7 per sheet.

Obviously I'm not talking about general holes and repair. I mean the painting itself in some of those picture is terrible. Is that a finished job around the window frame?

There's holes and then there's the above! The whole walls are uneven. To fill and sand it all to look flat would put days on the job and if that is what the customer wanted I would advise a skim!

I do agree in this instance it looks like both parties are cowboys!
Actually green walls in general are not that bad
There are not so many holes in them, up to 20 all over the room
That’s why I believe it’s decorators’ job to fill and sand them because it’s not “days”
I understand that they’re decorators not miracle workers that’s why I hired a plasterer to do other room (yellow one) where the walls were not good at all

Attachments

• FC4633D1-5A5C-466D-99E0-3DA65AD63988.jpeg
    FC4633D1-5A5C-466D-99E0-3DA65AD63988.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 60
Just look at pic 4! You can't be happy with that painting!
I said days as in getting the walls perfectly flat and smooth. Filling some small holes is slightly different! Sounds very much like both parties have done rough jobs!

I payed £600 for plastering 2 ceilings (11m2 which is shown on 1 photo+25m2 which is fine) and walls in 1 small bedroom (yellow walls, they are ok as well). He did in 1.5 days.
I payed £1300 for painting 2 small bedrooms incl woodwork. 2 painters did in 2 days.
I live in London and £250-300 per day is an average rate for this jobs, cheap tradesman would be £150-200 per day.

It was an artex ceiling. I had the same in my bathroom which was skimmed over and looks perfect. But I wouldn’t mind if they advised to use plasterboard there, considering it costs £7 per sheet.

I am a decorator in London. I like to think that I provide an exceptional quality of finish. I seldom ever charge more than £200 per day (normally less- which explains why I am normally broke..) and I would never expect to repaint a whole room in 2 days (unless it was a room that I had recently painted. That said, for 2 smallish rooms, I would have probably charged between £800 and £900 (labour only) for each room but that would include sanding the newly plastered walls flat (using sanders connected to dust extractors) before applying any paint. It would also include sanding the previously badly painted woodwork flat as well.

Frankly given the quality of finish, I would not recommend your decorators. In their defence, the waves in the ceiling are down to the plasterer. I would ask him to replaster it. Minimising waves on a wall is one thing, it is much harder to sand them away on a ceiling because of the working angles.

Image 4 looks like the plasterer didn't apply a thick enough coat of bonding. Personally, if it were my home I would have asked for plasterboard (with the high spots of artex knocked off first).

Were the "tradesmen" found on one of those Checker/FindA type sites?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back