Is it called a blanking plate.....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently cracked a plastic wall plate - the outside is blank - but the inside has three rows of connections (earth live and neutral I presume) - a simialr set up to the inside of a plug, but with six screws to hold in the wires, instead of three. This is the connection is for the boiler.

Is there any special name for the type of plate I need to get to replace it? Blank on the outside, but conections on the inside...

Any help/info appreciated

Sponsored Links
If the front of the plate is completely blank it is a blanking plate, if it has a little hole in it for a cable to exit then it's a flex outlet. if in doubt take off the front plate and take it to a decent shop and get them to find one the same.

Sponsored Links
Hmm I may have confused things - I'm sure I've seen a faceplate with a round flex hole in the middle (with a raised lip), the one you've linked to is the type with a cutout in the bottom edge yes?

Edit: That one linked above ^^

This is likely the correct item a special junction box for central heating to simplify the wiring of central heating installations using Sundial C, S or Y Plan control systems and programmers or timeswitches. However a backing box, some chock block connector and a blanking plate will do same job. Only down side is then they are not marked so harder to work out which wire is which.

...the Mains supply is screwed directly into the back of the blanking plate (type thing) in three rows (is this called a junction?). These rows are actually moulded into the blanking plate (type thing), to house the metal fixtures that comprise the junction. Wires coming out of the junction then form into two cables - one going to the boiler, and the other going to a plug that plugs into a socket on the wall adjacent to the blanking plate (type thing). When the plug is in, the power supply to the boiler is connected.

The blanking plate (type thing) looked exactly like the ordinary white plastic socket next to it - minus the three holes for the plug, before it was smashed. There was no hole in the middle so the cables must have snuck in at the sides/bottom. There's a kind of metal back and frame that the blanking plate (type thing), screws into. There's also a sperate clear plastic junction for black (and maybe red) wires that hangs around in that space. The junction part of the blanking plate (type thing) is still intact - and I was hoping to get the exact same fixture to replace it, without having to remove it, as, being no expert, I could then retain an idea as to what wire goes where, re-wire the junction part one wire at a time, then screw the new blanking plate (type thing) back into the metal frame in the wall.

thanks all for the input...

Wires coming out of the junction then form into two cables - one going to the boiler, and the other going to a plug that plugs into a socket on the wall adjacent to the blanking plate (type thing). When the plug is in, the power supply to the boiler is connected.
Sounds like you could just put a longer flex on the boiler and just plug it in.

There was no hole in the middle so the cables must have snuck in at the sides/bottom.
Have a look at the bottom edge and see if has a proper flex outlet hole.

There's also a sperate clear plastic junction for black (and maybe red) wires that hangs around in that space.
What wires that "hang around"?

You said there were 6 terminals and 2 cables, i.e. 6 cores - there shouldn't be anything hanging around....

Thanks Adam 151 - just been to B&Q for comparison and it is indeed a Felx Outlet :). DCC and Taylortwocities: I think the flex must have come from the bottom (the surround has been shattered). However, the middle of the plate and all the wiring is still intact (Ban-all-sheds:- two black wires hanging in the space behind the outlet from the boiler flex are attached to a sperate plastic fitting/juntion) . So having it fixed is probably cosmetic and a concern for future safety, more than a functional issue at this moment, as all wiring appears to be intact, and the mains indicator light on the boiler still comes on. Spot on Flameport, the front looked exactly as the picture, the back of the plate has terminals for the wiring. The one I saw in B&Q says its 20amps. Looks like your junction box may have been the better option Ercimark. Same principle I suppose. I agree colJack, a picture paints a thopusand words - I'll try to get a camera before my next post. :p

Boilerstuff";p="1473988 said:
two black wires hanging in the space behind the outlet from the boiler flex are attached to a sperate plastic fitting/juntion)
Don't you have 3 cores in the boiler flex, and 3 in the flex from the plug?

Looks like your junction box may have been the better option Ercimark.
Why isn't putting a plug on the boiler and plugging it in a better option?

I guess the flex outlet plate is being used to connect the flex from the plug, the flex from the boiler, and possibly the room thermostat or time control.

A messy way to have it wired.

You just need to get yourself a bottom entry flex outlet plate - A GET branded one is pretty standard and is bottom entry.

This is the best pic I can find of the rear of a GET Flex Outlet Plate.
2nuowlf.png

I think your guess is probably spot on, Lectrician - and the pic certainly matches up with the rear of the flex outlet plate. Dead on. :) :) The (only) one I saw in B&Q was a little differently organised with all six conections at the top end. It also said it was a 20amp (not sure if/how the fuse issue comes into play here). Only a few quid. I don't know if this would do the job - they didn't appear to have any others. A messy wiring job to start with I have no doubt ;) , but it needs to be put back more or less as it was.

Would've made my life easier if they'd just put a plug on the boiler and plugged it in, BAS. No quarrel with you there :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back