Is it ok to put a bathroom light switch in the bathroom rather than outside?

Sponsored Links
There must be a reason for the rarity of switches in a bathroom and the frequency of pull-cords.

Because most bathrooms are too small for a switch to be 3 metres from the bath. Switches outside the room are a PITA.

At work all our toilets and shower areas have PIR type sensors.(no windows)
When we moved in, the sensor was set to minimum.

If you went for a crap, you were invisible to the sensor and 2 mins later the lights went out.
It took ages to get the sensor set for a reasonable "crap time"

Because most bathrooms are too small for a switch to be 3 metres from the bath.
I'm not aware of any regulation which requires switches to be 3 metres from a bath - sockets, yes, but not switches (which merely have to be 'outside zones'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My 1994 refurbed bathroom has a 240v extractor next to a fused box IN the shower cubicle at the top of the wall.

Getting that changed soon but in fairness it's never caused any problems.. yet

My 1994 refurbed bathroom has a 240v extractor next to a fused box IN the shower cubicle at the top of the wall.
If it is more than 2.25 metres about finished floor level, that could well be compliant with current regulations (no matter how silly you might regard that).

Kind Regards, John

Ventilation equipment, subject to being IPX4 and manufacturers instructions, is allowed in Zone 1.

If you mean it has a Fused connection unit then this is not allowed in zone 1, so, as said, dependent on height.

If it is more than 2.25 metres about finished floor level, that could well be compliant with current regulations (no matter how silly you might regard that).

Kind Regards, John

Ahhh OK thanks. Is over 2.25 from FFL but not shower basin. Makes sense. Still getting shot of it though.

Ahhh OK thanks. Is over 2.25 from FFL but not shower basin. Makes sense. Still getting shot of it though.
You're welcome. As I said, whatever you or I may think about it, the regs refer the 2.25m to FFL, rather than to a more 'sensible' (IMO) reference point!

If 'touchability' is what it's meant to be about, my son-in-law could easily touch an accessory at 2.25m above FFL when standing in a shower tray, and almost certainly also when standing on the floor - so the 2.25m (as well as the "above FFL") is probably open to question!

Kind Regards, John

I can stand in my bath, take the lamp out of the pendant and stick my fingers in the lamp holder. Common sense and my will to live stop me from doing that.

I can stand in my bath, take the lamp out of the pendant and stick my fingers in the lamp holder. Common sense and my will to live stop me from doing that.
I would undoubtedly survive that situation, too ... but what of others in your home, or customers in their homes? Would you, if requested, install an accessory (e.g. switch or FCU), let alone a lampholder, directly over a bath or shower, just over 2.25m above FFL, particularly if it was apparent that there was at least one tall occupant in the household?

Kind Regards, John

I live alone, but at work we generally only install enclosed light fittings in bathrooms. Years ago we would put batten holders in the bathrooms, especially on new builds. The location of my lamp holder is permitted by the regs I believe, I'm sure I measured it once.

As for switches and things they go outside the bathroom (unless the room is huge) or are pull switches. Fused outlets and flex outlets are an exception. I have carried out condition reports and not noted down light switches or switched fused connection units in bathrooms as long as they meet the regulations. Strangely I have come across more 13A sockets in bathrooms than light switches!

If , for some reason, a person wanted to install a wall switch in a bathroom, is there a commercially available relay system that would put the 240v outside but say 12v to a relay?

... at work we generally only install enclosed light fittings in bathrooms. ... As for switches and things they go outside the bathroom (unless the room is huge) or are pull switches.
Fair enough but, as I asked, if a customer requested a non-enclosed light fitting or switch, say, 2.26 m above FFL directly above the bath/shower (which would appear to be regs-compliant), would you do it?

Kind Regards, John

I'd probably recommend something enclosed if it was directly over the bath, but I'd have no reason to refuse to fit such a fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back