Is it ok to put a bathroom light switch in the bathroom rather than outside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question as above. Bathroom is on the ground floor, not that I think it makes the foggiest of difference.

Sponsored Links
better to have a pull cord switch in a bathroom, think wet hands!

or damp condensation...

Last edited:
You can if it is suitable for the environment - which none of the manufacturers of 'ordinary' switches state.

We're rewiring the whole house and want to make it high end. We have a large ground floor hall way and I dont want to spoil the walls with an external switch. Pull cord is a bit naff bit safety is also important. I'm guessing there is something I can put around the switch or buy an appropriate switch for this purpose?

Does regs require me to have the switch on the outside of the bathroom if I do not want a pull cord? Surely if you have wet hands on the inside of the bathroom you will have wet hands on the outside of the bathroom to switch an external switch off?

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing there is something I can put around the switch or buy an appropriate switch for this purpose?
That will look naff too.

Does regs require me to have the switch on the outside of the bathroom if I do not want a pull cord?
No.

Surely if you have wet hands on the inside of the bathroom you will have wet hands on the outside of the bathroom
Well it's possible. Where do you keep the towels?

to switch an external switch off?
It's not actually wet hands which are the problem.
It's the atmosphere of the bathroom.
No manufacturers state their 'ordinary' switches are suitable for bathrooms - as they do with lights etc.

I'm guessing there is something I can put around the switch or buy an appropriate switch for this purpose?
That will look naff too.

Does regs require me to have the switch on the outside of the bathroom if I do not want a pull cord?
No.

Surely if you have wet hands on the inside of the bathroom you will have wet hands on the outside of the bathroom
Well it's possible. Where do you keep the towels?

to switch an external switch off?
It's not actually wet hands which are the problem.
It's the atmosphere of the bathroom.
No manufacturers state their 'ordinary' switches are suitable for bathrooms - as they do with lights etc.

We probably will have a towel radiator for the towels. So is the issue about electrical safety or manufacturer's warranty of the product failing due to moisture?

So is the issue about electrical safety or manufacturer's warranty of the product failing due to moisture?
Certainly the former, and probably also the latter.

A 'weather-resistant' switch designed for outdoor use would probably be OK, but that would surely look 'naff'?

Kind Regards, John

Yeah, dont want an external switch! So other than a cord which I certainly wont be having, putting the switch outside the bathroom is the solution??? Still not sure what is being proposed. Wet hands still touch the switch outside the room but no atmospheric issues?

It isnt a good idea to operate normal light switches with wet hands!

Correct it isn't. So what's the solution to my dilemma? What do all the new housing developments do?

No. Switch can be inside the bathroom if outside the zones, which is anywhere more that 60cm from the edge of the bath.

I was working in a house last year that had wall switches in the bathrooms, they were all the originals from when the house was wired 55 years ago. There were no problems there. Isn't pull switches in bathrooms mostly only a UK thing?

I can't think of any reason why anyone would need to switch on or off a light while their hands are wet. You wash your hands in the bathroom, you dry them with a hand towel in the bathroom, not in another room in the house!

I've just read the entire 701 section, locations containing a bath or shower in the big yellow book of boring, and it states low voltage accessories and switchgear incorporating switches or socket outlets shall not be installed in zones 0, 1 or 2. There is no mention of switches not being permitted outside the zones.

From my point of view I can see no reason not to fit wall switches, providing they are outside of zones 0, 1 and 2 (and are RCD protected etc. etc.)

Switch will be about 3m away from a shower area (no tub) and 1.5m from sink so this should work. Also we have a heat recovery and ventilation system so extracting moisture all the time.

Thx.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back