Is it ok to put a bathroom light switch in the bathroom rather than outside?

From my point of view I can see no reason not to fit wall switches, providing they are outside of zones 0, 1 and 2 (and are RCD protected etc. etc.)
There is no reason, and there never was.
Previous regulations only changed the distance switches had to be from the bath, switches were never prohibited in bathrooms.
In the 1960s, it was stated that switches had to be 'out of reach' of someone using the bath, later it was changed to specified distances and various defined zones.

For those that believe the switches can't be used due to the damp environment - the exact same switches are used in kitchens, utility rooms, cloakrooms, sheds, carports and garages.

Sponsored Links
I can't think of any reason why anyone would need to switch on or off a light while their hands are wet. You wash your hands in the bathroom, you dry them with a hand towel in the bathroom, not in another room in the house! ... From my point of view I can see no reason not to fit wall switches, providing they are outside of zones 0, 1 and 2 (and are RCD protected etc. etc.)
The risk is undoubtedly extremely small but, as has been said, I think the concern (for those who have concerns) is more about a condensation-ridden switch (being touched by dry hands), rather than wet hands.

Kind Regards, John

I'm still not convinced it's worth worrying about, unless jets of water are going to be used for cleaning.

The house I grew up in used to be very cold in winter, and when cooking with the gas cooker the kitchen walls, including the switches and sockets, used to get dripping wet with condensation. We certainly didn't have any problems with tingles or any electrical faults/switchgear failing.

I'm still not convinced it's worth worrying about, unless jets of water are going to be used for cleaning.
Nor am I. I was merely indicate what I understand to be the nature of the concerns for "those who have concerns". Like you, I have never experienced even 'tingles' by touching a switch or socket which was 'dripping wet with condensation'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I am not particularly concerned, either - in my own home.

I was merely pointing out the facts to the OP.

It is an advice forum and, as such, the decision should be his with all the knowledge.

Why, then, are there no switches marked as suitable for bathrooms?

Because that might make someone think they are suitable for installation in zone2? The switch also doesn't say it's not suitable for use in bathrooms.

That's stretching things.

It would obviously state "Not Zone 1 and 2" or would you expect them to include Zone 0?

NOT stating it's NOT suitable doesn't mean it is.

When someone wants lighting in a bathroom, do you choose ones which do not say they're not suitable or ones which state they are or have a suitable IP rating?

I'd select based on IP rating. A wall light switch installed outside of the zones does not have to have a specific IP rating, therefore it is suitable to use even though it does not specifically say so.

Indeed, it's a switch outside the bathroom most of the time around here. Pull cords are so messy and the strings get dirty and they seem to break easily too.

A wall light switch installed outside of the zones does not have to have a specific IP rating, therefore it is suitable to use even though it does not specifically say so.
Ok.

I wasn't making a big deal of this. I just told the OP the facts.

You think light switches are suitable for the environment even though we do not know the light switch nor the environment.

We could have a socket next to the basin or just outside zone 2, as in Europe, except someone decided we mustn't.

The OP has given a description of the environment, from that description the current regulations state a wall mounted switch can be fitted.

We could have a socket next to the basin or just outside zone 2, as in Europe, except someone decided we mustn't.

Some of the regulations may not make much sense, but we still need to follow them. Although it's becoming clear that the office staff that make them up are getting rather carried away when it comes to safety. I very much dislike the pathetic nonsense with the 'amendment 3' consumer units and the fact that large numbers of circuits now require 30mA RCD protection, just because the cables are under the plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back