Is it OK to Replace Fire Resistant Plasterboard with WBP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

I've just removed a number of walls to create a bigger bathroom.

One wall was a stud partition that backs onto the en-suite.

Leaving the plasterboard/tiles in place on the ensuite side, I removed the plasterboard on the bathroom side.

This revealed that there has been a leak for a number of years. The partition has got a lot of grey plastic pipes with connections.
(The old grey stuff before the white Speed Fit).

Two connectors have been slowly dripping for at least 7 years since we been here.

The result is that its totally disintegrated the very bottom stud work (like the sole plate) leaving a smelly black mush.

The en-suite has got to be dealt with at another time - so for now I can't pull down the stud wall and rebuild.

What I am going to do is cut the first 6 inches away (the rest of the stud is bone dry) along the whole wall length - and clean up and replace with new stud and reinforce stud work due to cut.

MY QUESTION

Because I do not want the chance of anything like this happening again, can I replace the FIREPROOF (foil backed) plasterboard that I removed with 12mm WPB plywood?

And then tile over this.

Or if not, would it be acceptable for 12.5mm fireproof plasterboard against the studs and then place WPB on top of plasterboard?

This would sandwich against moisture etc.

The side that I want to do this on is the new bathroom, which backs on to the en-suite, that obviously is joined to a bedroom, this bedroom has a door leading to garden.

Wherever I can, I hope to replace grey pipe work with no fittings - and try and bring the fittings out side of the wall (box them in).
Or try and change over to Speed Fit.

Many thanks in advance - Stephen

Sponsored Links
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry, I've just been Googling, and it looks like FOILBACKED plasterboard is for moisture NOT fire.

Anyway - my question still stands, can I use WBP directly on studs?

Thanks, sorry for error.

Sponsored Links
The way to stop this happening again is to get all your pipes fitting correctly and not trying to construct some mammoth, expensive unwieldy wall. to hold back water ( which it won't -ever )

The grey pipes you see are not some "old " system :eek: but the common type used which is "solvent-weld" i,e, the glue melts the plastic and bonds two pipes together is an unbreakable ( except with a big hammer) and leak-proof seal.

You will be hard pushed to find anyone suggesting a mechanical fitting instead of solvent-weld for waste-pipes.

In short ( my suggestion)

1) Sort out your leak and stay witth solvent=weld pipes.
2) Replace your rotten wood ( maybe with pressure-treated ).
3) Put back plasterboard and re-decorate.

From your description this wall doesn't seem to be against an outside wall, if it is , come back and there will be a couple of things to add.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back