Is it possible to beef up a bandsaw motor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my sins many years ago I bought a Clarke CBS250 and have pretty much regretted it ever since.

I've pretty much avoided using it as much as i can and have chosen projects that don't use it as a consequence but as i'm just a hobbyist working in a single garage its taking up a lot of real estate for something that's not being used.

I'm not in a position to be able to spend a few thousand on one at the minute and if i was i need to sort my dust extraction first anyway, so i'm wondering if it would be possible and if so practical, to swap out the motor for something with a bit more grunt.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Fitting a more powerful motor might over stress the saw blade and/or the framework of the machine. This could result in injury if the saw blade snaps while in use.

As hobby bandsaws go, this is actually pretty good.......the motors are flange mounted so a bigger motor would be pretty awkward to mount, I think.
What materials and section sizes are you cutting?
John :)

As hobby bandsaws go, this is actually pretty good.......the motors are flange mounted so a bigger motor would be pretty awkward to mount, I think.
What materials and section sizes are you cutting?
Its anything at all, even 11mm ply the blade will wander. i upgraded to a larger blade and that helped but its just been a nightmare from the start. Its my first bandsaw so i may have set it up wrongly but i've watched countless youtube videos now over the years.

Sponsored Links
i suspect you may have already come across - but I know peter millard went through a lot of cheap bandsaws, Aldi etc and also a video setting it all up
as i say you may already have watched
Hi yes i've watched Peter many times. The main issue is that the CBS250 has decided to be unique, rather than have the wheels either side of the blade facing out they face in towards the blade.

Its anything at all, even 11mm ply the blade will wander. i upgraded to a larger blade and that helped but its just been a nightmare from the start. Its my first bandsaw so i may have set it up wrongly but i've watched countless youtube videos now over the years.
Curious.....I'd pay attention to the blade tension, the blade guide runner gap and keeping the throat distance minimal should help.

Curious.....I'd pay attention to the blade tension, the blade guide runner gap and keeping the throat distance minimal should help.
Thanks, i've attached it to a wheeled base last weekend so i'm going to give it a full set up check again this weekend now i've easy access to all areas. fingers crossed.

Of course Phil, a larger more powerful motor would only help if the machine was tending to stall......it will have no effect on the cutting accuracy of the machine.

Thanks, i've attached it to a wheeled base last weekend so i'm going to give it a full set up check again this weekend now i've easy access to all areas. fingers crossed.
I recently purchased a bandsaw for less than £300. I for one would appreciate real world feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back