Is it really so expensive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with the plastic gutters at my terraced house. When it is raining, the water is dripping from where my gutters are joined with my neighbours' sections.
I called a contractor today to do the visual check before starting the job and that's whaty he said:
1. Apparently, the guys who installed the gutters put them too low, so the water is not moving properly towards the exit (vertical pipes are located at my neighbours' sections- quite far away from my gutters).
2. As my neighbours' have metal gutters, they were not joined correctly with my pastic ones. It seems that only some silicone was used.

The contractor proposed to lift up my gutters a little bit, so the water would flow away easier and said that in order to properly join the plastic and metal gutters, he would need to use some special joints (expensive). All the work would last around 3 hours. And the cost would be no more than 300 pounds.

So, my question is: is it really so expensive?

Thanks,

bhill

Sponsored Links
seems excessive. if its just old ogee cast then a plastic to cast is not expensive at all and if its a flat fronted terrace not a bay victorian then it should take no more than an hour.. down here in devon i would be charging £75 + the adapter. a picture would help with advising

P1060708.jpg

P1060709.jpg

P1060712.jpg

P1060713.jpg

P1060714.jpg

P1060715.jpg

I'll call few companies in about 20 minutes. And probably a landlord I used to rent a flat from would have some advice as well.
Meanwhile, I would appreciate your opinion. I hope the pics are good enough.

Thanks,

bhill

Sponsored Links
Why do you keep reversing the pictures?

I can't see there being much room to lift anything there.

They are not reversed.
From the top:
Front, front left, front right, back, back left, back right.

I can't see why the gutter needs to be raised. Gutters are designed to partly fill before discharging

Just sort the proper connectors out

Would be advisable to get rid of all that moss or heavy rain will see the gutters blocked with it.

Well it looks like your property has had the original guttering replaced with plastic, and they have done a bodge job of joining it. I bet your not popular with the neighbours at the moment.

I moved in there 2 months ago, so hopefully they didn't have enough time to start hating me. I'm doing all my best to fix all the issues.
The moss is on my list, but it is not a top priority for the next few weeks.
When I saw these pictures I realized the previous owner wasn't lucky with finding the right people for the job.
Anyway, I got two people coming in tomorrow to check it and propose a quote, then another one this week, and one more probably on Monday. So, I hope to get some fair price.

so is it leaking just where it meets the outlet and where it joins next door thats actually pretty easy to fix extend the plastic to the running outlet and where the join to next door is extend it past it about a meter the fact its extended so far over the neighbors guttter in itself should stop it leaking

and where the plastic meets the cast its better that the plastic is under the cast those plastic to cast fittings are crap give a good couple of feet over it and have a good run gravity will stop it leaking if your unsure seal it up before you lap it

Could somebody please provide me a link with the adaptors I would need to use?

I'm not sure if that's what I need:
http://www.professionalbuildingsupp...-half-round-cast-iron-adaptor-black-1155.aspx

Yesterday I was given a quote with "no more than 400 pounds". Apparently some extra work needs to be done. That guy wanted to pull whole gutters down, "fix" them and put them back again. I know some people try to rip me off, but for God's sake...

I recently replaced my cast iron (six-inch) gutters with deep flow plastic, and adapters proved impossible to find.

Instead, I simply terminated my neighbours cast guttering with a plastic panel cut to fit inside it - cleaned up with wire-wheel and bonded in place with strong PU adhesive ("tiger-seal") the stuff they bond car windscreens in with. I just restarted my new gutter right up against it, and it is completely leak free. Obviously you need a downpipe on your own section of gutter though.

Probably irrelevant, but thought I'd mention it just in case you were stuck (like I was).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back