Is it really so expensive?

Sponsored Links
Yes they are the adaptors you need, it will be a good idea to get them and find someone to fit them,but it does seem there are a lot of pi$$ takers were you live.

I found someone to do the job for a 100 pounds.
No hidden costs, no extra things to fix, just the leaks. I'll see how he does the job.
I'm really shocked with the quotes I got. 300 and 400 pounds were the worst. One guy didn't even pretend to hide his intentions, he asked me if I worked in the oil industry.
Folks at work brutally explained it to me: my non-scottish accent makes me a potential rip off target.

Sponsored Links
why such a downer on plastic to cast. 25yrs in the trade and never had one leak through any fault in the union.

ive 20 years in the trade m8 and its rains here 310 days of the year the fittings for cast to plastic aint suited for here you either butt two stopends together and cover in lead or give a mega overlap

his gutters already installed plastic to cast in the same manner the union will do it with a bolt hows the union gona be diffrent

if fitted correctly shouldnt matter if it rains every day of the year. as long as the cast side is fitted on a proper cast joint and sealed and bolted there is no reason for it to leak. problems only occur when fitted incorrectly where cast has been cut down or not properly sealed.

his gutters already installed plastic to cast in the same manner the union will do it with a bolt hows the union gona be diffrent

seems obvious to me from the pictures that the profile/radius of the plastic is far too small for the cast. thats where the problem is. a correct union will solve that. a union will be a harder plastic and less prone to movement and will seal correctly. trying to drill and bolt flexible guttering will never work. the profile difference is too great a gap to fill which is why its leaking. use the correct fittings and it will work.

tosh, just totting up in my head between myself and the lads working for me we must have installed somewhere between 100-200 and to my knowledge none have ever leaked because of a fault with the union. only one i can remember leaking was due to a cast bracket breaking and pulling the gutter out of line. but apart from that no trouble at all.

Hi,

after few weeks the problem has been almost solved. The company I asked for help, replaced old elements of gutters and applied new sealant. Meanwhile, I got myself my own ladder and cleaned the gutters from all the rubbish. It turned out that my neighbours need to do the same as their gutters are completely blocked. Besides that, I unclogged the downpipe located in the back of the house (left side) with the garden hose. Unfortunately, it keeps blocking itself every few days, so when it is raining the gutter becomes full quite fast and water starts to pour down just above my kitchen window. I believe that blocked downpipe is responsible.

Could you suggest me some chemicals or other measures I could use to deal with the blockage?

Or shall I ask the neighbour to deal with it as the downpipe and whole drainage belong to his property? (I think I'm supposed to participate in costs if necessary)

And again, thanks a lot for your previous help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back