Is it safe to leave fluorescent light on with no tube in it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pull cord for a fluorescent tube light in my bedroom broke when I went to switch it off this morning. The only way I can turn off the light is to stop all upstairs lights working.

I know nothing about electrics and having unscrewed the cover I see that all the electric connections are in the part screwed to the ceiling. I can see what is a small hole through which if I treaded the cord and and then knotted it the switch might work. But no matter how I try I can't rethread it to the end to reappear again.

So I can get some sleep tonight, would it be safe to remove the tube until I can get someone to repair/replace the switch.

I know this is a really stupid question but I just don't know

Sponsored Links
shaver light ? It's probably safe, If it's buzzying it's best to sort it sooner rather than later.

With the power off flip the thing down where the strig attaches

Likely it will be OK to remove the tube. With expensive HF fluorescent lamps removing the tube can blow the electronics, but it is unlikely you have an expensive HF unit. Please post as many details as you can, photos are good. If it has a starter (little round thing) then it will be OK as HF units don't have starters.

It's a 4 foot tube ceiling light with starter so I assume not HF especially as over 30 years old.

I will remove the tube whilst there is still some light.

Sponsored Links
Yep, no worries leaving the tube out. Just remember to not touch the prongs at the ends of the tube whilst inserting or removing the tube and get it fixed asap.

Im quessing your meaning something like this, independant of the actual light.
If your quite handy and confident with electrics its in the scope of your average diyer

MK3191.JPG

OOPS, just reread your post, may be best you dont open it up as there are live cables within.

Thanks everyone. I got a new switch but decided I did not feel happy fitting it. Just paid £30 for someone to fit it. Not a bad hourly rate for a 15 minute job. Perhaps I should learn how to do this but how/where does one learn this sort of thing?

£30 for a call out isn't that bad.
If you want to learn how to be an electrician your local college may run courses

£30 for a call out isn't that bad.
If you want to learn how to be an electrician your local college may run courses

I think a college course would be too much for me as I don't want to be an electrician. However as I am now I am on my own I would like to have the confidence to do some of the simple DIY jobs.

Thanks everyone. I got a new switch but decided I did not feel happy fitting it. Just paid £30 for someone to fit it. Not a bad hourly rate for a 15 minute job. Perhaps I should learn how to do this but how/where does one learn this sort of thing?

You were lucky to get someone out for such a small job. A fee of £60 would have been about right.

... remember to not touch the prongs at the ends of the tube whilst inserting or removing the tube

Over the years, I've replaced hundreds ... maybe thousands of tubes, and often instinctively put my fingers on one end as I lined the other end up to the cap.
I remember a guy working with me once who thought it a dangerous habit, but I've never once felt even the slightest tingle, often, I might add, with the fitting live.

I'm really not suggesting anyone tries it, and I'm sure many would describe it as a stupid thing to do, but I'm curious if anyone has ever felt anything by doing this.

Im sure I did years ago, in the days of transtar units, ballasts and capacitors for both power factor and series wired, in the fittings, with the advent of switchstart and chokes I think it became less likely, but by then you'd learned instinctively to touch the pins just to line it up, then avoided touching the pins just before pushing home into the holder.

Once rotary endcaps came out, the risk if any was virtually removed when used correctly, safety possibly being the reason they became common

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back