Is it worth doing your own oil changes nowadays?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just changed all the various filters and the oil, which meant me faffing around for a good 2 hours, dismantling bits of engine for access, breaking corroded bolts, using countless rags to clean up, and getting covered in oil.

Its the first time I've done this for a good few years, and considering all the hassle, and the disposal of the oil, I really can't see the sense in doing it myself again.

I may as well just take it to the garage, give them the gear and let them do it for what, £30?

Sponsored Links
I've just changed all the various filters and the oil, which meant me faffing around for a good 2 hours, dismantling bits of engine for access, breaking corroded bolts, using countless rags to clean up, and getting covered in oil.

Its the first time I've done this for a good few years, and considering all the hassle, and the disposal of the oil, I really can't see the sense in doing it myself again.

I may as well just take it to the garage, give them the gear and let them do it for what, £30?

You are right, I take my car to local garage, after having first brought the filter, they drop the old oil, fit the new filter supplied and refill engine with 6.75 litres of Mobile 1 synthetic oil, for £20...
It's just not worth the effort of doing it your self.

Wotan

As long as you're happy with the filters and oil that they're putting in it, then go with it.
Just remember the cheaper the 'service' the cheaper the parts they will use

You are right, I take my car to local garage, after having first brought the filter, they drop the old oil, fit the new filter supplied and refill engine with 6.75 litres of Mobile 1 synthetic oil, for £20...

Wotan

You are very lucky at that price! In London they probably charge about £99 PLUS £10 for the filter and £20 for the oil which may not be the best!

I still prefer to change my own oil because its technically easy and does not need special tools.

Clutch and suspension repairs I leave to the manufacturer's service agent although I have had three out of four bad experiences even so.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Kwikfit change oil and filter, have a look at their website.

Wotan[/quote]

mmm,you cant buy mobil 1 for that price,its probably crisp and dry they are putting in!

Wotan

mmm,you cant buy mobil 1 for that price,its probably crisp and dry they are putting in![/quote]

Well unless the crisp and dry is in a 45 gallon drum marked Mobile 1 Synthetic, that may be the case.
This deal is with a long standing aquaintence, who has been doing jobs for me over a considerable period.

Wotan

basically runs down to 'how much it your time worth to you' - if i knew someone who would carry out one of the fairly mundane tasks like that for a reasonable price and to a suitable quality, then they'd have a customer for life :D

YES IT IS WORTH DOING IT YOURSELF
I HAVE JUST DONE MY COUSENS OLD CAR AFTER A SO CALLED GARAGE HAVE DONE IT FOR 5 YEARS AND THE OIL FILTER WAS RUSTED ON AND THE AIR FILTER WAS BLACK. AND ALSO NEVER TAKE IT FOR GRANTED THAT THEY DO YOUR BRAKES WHEN DUE. THEY WILL ONLY DO THEM IF YOU ASK. SAME WITH CAM BELTS .

Sponsored Links
Back