Is it worth having a system that will ring you up?

I think a communicating alarm is well worth having.

My home one calls a monitoring station; the Yale in another house I look after calls my mobile/my home/my neighbour. It is of course essential to have the panel and phone line concealed and well away from any likely point of entry so it has the chance to dial out before being attacked.

You can also fit smoke and flood sensors to the Yale, for other events that you might want to know about.

Sponsored Links
No, it is a sign that other systems do far more.

When your qualified to make assertions about various aspects of security and life protection systems please feel free to make a valid argument.

Sponsored Links
hahahahaha!

I'm sure you're not going to pretend that my "assertion" that it's useful to have a system that dials out, or that you can attach a smoke sensor to a Yale, is untrue, or that I'm not qualified to make it.

Your of course entitled to an opinion.
Bashing out that a Yale system is the bees knees is another story. Cheap tat fitted by people woth no understanding equals the majority of questions here.

Laugh all you like that is a fact.

Fire detection to such as mentioned although better than nothing is not recognised as a decent life protection system.
Thus your showing the lack of knowledge mentioned previously.

would that not be the very same likelihood of exactly the same thing happening with a professionally monitored system?
Yes, but the use of a PIN at the receiving end will prevent a mis-dial being accepted by the alarm system as a succesful dial out.

If you think for a minute you may see the way that an intruder on the premises can cancel the alarm without knowing the system's reset code.

You are comparing apples and pears Bernard,
While you are promoting the installation of apples but not telling the end user that they are not pears.

Your safety critical system would no doubt be protecting much more than domestic chattels.
Not always, one system was to alert the mobile wardens in a shelter housing scheme, getting a sympathetic ear to a resident was as important as getting help or emergency services. The residents had to have a system they had total confidence in.

sentimental gifts and digital photos on your laptop are not! {replaceable } But they have no or little insurance cover. The main purpose of the alarm is to try and make the burglars look elsewhere.
Yes that is the critical factor in preventing a burglary. But it has to be an effective deterent and sadly a bell box on the outside of a building can be very little deterent if the ccriminals know about the poor quaility of the system behind the bell box.
( that can be applied to most makes of alarm boxes )

In reality the Yale is a better system than some alarms as its an autodialler.
But you say the main purpose is to make the burglars look elsewhere. What purpose does the auto dialler serve in that "function" of the system.

One domestic alarm I am aware of has the system linked to a monitoring system with police called. That link is via a phone line for the alarm that is concealed from view by being run underground while the line for the house phone is over head and easy to cut before entry is attempted.

Bashing out that a Yale system is the bees knees is another story. Cheap tat fitted by people woth no understanding equals the majority of questions here.

Fire detection to such as mentioned although better than nothing is not recognised as a decent life protection system.
Now you're being silly.

You're arguing against something that I haven't said

While evading the fact that what I said was true and I am perfectly able to say it.

I fear your hatred of yale is making you irrational.

Ha ha ha.

Bernard I have thought for a minute and have failed to see the way an intruder can cancel the alarm.

To cancel the alarm by phoning into the home requires a pin as you say.
In the scenario you paint of a random person recieving a call there are two issues here.
Firstly they would in all likelyhoood not be aware that to confirm the call the 0 or 9 key would need to be pressed.
Even if they did that does not cancel the alarm but merely stops the dialler working through the list.

Acknowledging a call does just that. It acknowledges the call has been accepted and the autodialler will then not call the next person on the list.
It does not actually cancel the alarm it merely stops the dialler working through the list.

To disarm the system or silence the alarm requires the use of a 4 number pin code.

Usual irrelevant interjection with no bearing on the ops question.
You know the fire service give free smoke alarms.
That would seemingly endorse smoke alarms as a valid domestic solution.
No HMO requirements.

Here you can have a smoke detector , (optical)(less false alarms) that will via the panel instigate a call to your mobile and you dont have the humility to accept it for the good idea that it is.
No body is saying the Yale is the bees knees.

At what point did I ever say yes fit a yale its much better than all that professional rubbish?

I accept I made a mistake. The intruder can only stop the dialler dialling any further numbers, this does not involve cutting the phone line.

I accept I made a mistake. The intruder can only stop the dialler dialling any further numbers, this does not involve cutting the phone line.

Cutting the phone line of any or monitored alarm will have the same result unless it is dualcom.
You can of course if your phone line is easlily accessible use a gsm unit instead to dial out. There are models that simply plug into the yale and work fine if no land line is available.
In modern homes the lines tend not to come in at ground floor as they used to. In such cases armouring the cables with an external sleeve would be preferable.

to Alarm
Hiya you don't seem to have a High opinion of Yale alarms, can you tell us what alarms you would recommend please? and possibly why ?
bearing in mind I don't want to spend a fortune.

thanks

Mike

There are a few but as you mention costs thats them out of the equation.

For what your looking for Visonic is the better way forward. I assume this is because your after wireless. Then after that Texecom and the Richocet system. Both have two way reporting with the devices and various methods of comms to choose from.
They are products with good support, as you will see from many a theme here Yale have not. Support being a major issue when these are fitted by a DIY-ER.

Hope that helps.

As to the cutting of a phone line, heard of Redcare? Cut that and see what happens :D

I once cut a redcare line by accident. All that happened was an angry fellar turned up from BT about an hour and a half later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back