Is it worth me doing this preperation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just after some opinions on this....
Ripping out our existing kitchen and stripping the wallpaper back to the original plaster (about 10 layers of paper and paint lol!!) - there are going to be some places needing filled (moved sockets etc) and also larger areas like below (badly plastered up cabling - all the plaster needs removed - where yellow lines are)

wall2.png

wall1.png

Going to get a plasterer in to skim once all stripped but my question is...is it worthwhile me filling all the holes etc before the plasterer comes in to skim the walls or will it not affect the price in a major way to let him do the lot?
Got some plasterers arranged for later in the week for quotes but would like an idea beforehand.....

Cheers
Neil

Sponsored Links
is it worthwhile me filling all the holes etc before the plasterer comes in to skim the walls or will it not affect the price in a major way to let him do the lot?

You’ll be re paying for your plasterer’s skill by the day so you don’t want to stretch what may be a one day job into 2 days while he spends his time doing basic prep. work & filling holes which you could quiet easily do yourself. You don't need to be too fussy about the finish as long as it's flat & the bigger holes & cable chases are level with the surrounding wall.

Don’t use DIY Polyfiller etc. I use Bonding for the cable chases especially over steel capping & will also use this to rough fill any other holes & crumbly bits. On larger areas which need a new base, I use Hardwall & fill out to the surrounding plaster before skimming over the whole lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back