Is it worth using 1cm x 1cm bracket for door of this drawer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
drawer.jpg

Sponsored Links
The dowels tend to come loose, I've used Wood Glue but one dowel is still loose on one side. The door is 1cm width and the side is 1cm width, will it hold if i use less than 1cm screw-brackets?

Thanks.

Stick upright batons to sides and drawer front on the inside.

Sponsored Links
No brackets or screws! Just two lengths of wood stuck to both the side panel and the front. Sand down the front panel first where the glue will be.

No brackets or screws! Just two lengths of wood stuck to both the side panel and the front. Sand down the front panel first where the glue will be.

You mean L-Shaped wood like brackets?

No. Just square sectioned batons. You will of course only use two of the sides.

In all honesty using a wood glue on the dowels AND the surface of wood where they meet should of worked, by using batons you are increasing the surface area`s and increasing the area`s that grips. Try a new glue perhaps?

If the glue isn't holding that implies that the sides are possibly cracked, causing a poor dowel joint (it can happen), in which case the front corner will need extra support in the form of a couple of brackets each side. I used to buy 19 x 19mm and 25 x 25mm galvanised steel angle repair plates for use in kitchens and that's what I'd suggest as being the easiest approach (used with the correct screws).

A glued-in corner cleat won't have much durability unless it is big enough to allow multiple screws into both the front and side. I'd suggest that you won't ever get much of a glue bond where you are trying to glue to an existing, pre-finished surface as they tend to be very smooth and can be contaminated with stuff like furniture wax/polish

If the glue isn't holding that implies that the sides are possibly cracked, causing a poor dowel joint (it can happen), in which case the front corner will need extra support in the form of a couple of brackets each side. I used to buy 19 x 19mm and 25 x 25mm galvanised steel angle repair plates for use in kitchens and that's what I'd suggest as being the easiest approach (used with the correct screws).

A glued-in corner cleat won't have much durability unless it is big enough to allow multiple screws into both the front and side. I'd suggest that you won't ever get much of a glue bond where you are trying to glue to an existing, pre-finished surface as they tend to be very smooth and can be contaminated with stuff like furniture wax/polish

Yeah I'll use metal brackets but see my original question, I've only got a depth ifv1 centimetre to work with, the screws would need to be tiny. Is that a problem? Tiny screws will eventually loosen wont they?

Sandpaper!

Yeah I'll use metal brackets but see my original question, I've only got a depth ifv1 centimetre to work with, the screws would need to be tiny. Is that a problem? Tiny screws will eventually loosen wont they?
Yes, but crack on with it if you wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back