Is it worthwhile retro insulating a porch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 42740Hi All
I've just registered and tried to put the picture of our porch on here, so here's hoping it's ok...
I wonder if anyone can help with an opinion as to whether it's worth putting loft insulation into the porch (2.5 m x 2.5 m with a conventional tiled roof).
There is currently a upvc ceiling which has been fixed to the roof joists and cross timbers somehow. Unfortunately no insulation was put into the roof void 7 years ago when it was built and I'm wondering whether it would be worth doing it now. It seems to be a question of how much heat loss is there through the roof, the windows (DG but all round) and the floor (concrete and uninsulated).
Our front door is oak panelled, about 60 years old and I fear, leaking heat from the house.
I have just received a quote of £130 to take down a couple of lengths of this upvc (each length is about 30 cm wide by 250cm and it fits together like tongue and groove I think) and put in the roll of insulation (which I already have).
Before anyone asks, at the time the porch was being built, my dad was critically ill in hospital and I really didn't give the porch much thought....
My husband, who is not a great DIYer, thinks the benefit won't be worth the expense.
I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Thank you!
Zoe

[/img]

Sponsored Links
It depends whether you leave you door open and use it as part of the house. If so - then yes.

[]
Hi All
Our front door is oak panelled, about 60 years old and I fear, leaking heat from the house.
I have just received a quote of £130 to take down a couple of lengths of this upvc ....
My husband, who is not a great DIYer, thinks the benefit won't be worth the expense.
I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Thank you!
Zoe

[/img]
Your husband is right - the price is too high also . The guy probably didn`t want the job so priced it to make it worthwhile . The oak door will be fine - try another builder if you want stuff done . I know a few trades in E. Sussex ;)

I would say that there is no advantage if it is a porch - ie separation from the main house via a front door

Even if not, the amount of glass would mean that heat loss through the roof is not much of an issue

If there needs to be work done to the ceiling anyway, then yes fit the insulation as part of that work, otherwise there will be no payback on the £130 costs of the work in terms of energy savings, and probably none in terms of comfort either

Sponsored Links
Nice porch by the way.

It's a pity they never factored in a small soffit when building the roof.

Still looks right for the house though.

I've lost count of the amount of porches i have seen that are simply wrong. Some people just don't realize that a front porch is the first thing people see and a poorly designed or built porch can ruin the look of a house.

Ho hum.

assuming it has no heating the difference between the outside and inside will be quite low so the heat loss around 20% off not a lot

the savings may be as much as 1p a day or even per week

insulation will only stop the movement off heat so on a sunny day will reduce the porch heat gain from the sun

the most heat gain is from making sure that only one off the doors is open at one time :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back