Is my boiler safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I’m renting and share with two friends. Lately I’ve noticed our boiler being a bit weird. When I whack the heating on the ‘burner on’ light will come on and I can hear it but then it’ll go off after 20 seconds or so, it’ll then come back on again after a couple of minutes later (sometimes longer) and keep doing this. Is this normal? My understanding is that if the heating is on it should burn the whole time? The property maintenance company sent someone round and said it’s normal and to be fair the heating and hot water are all working fine as far as I know. The same lights comes on when you turn the hot tap on and then turns off again when you turn it off.

I tried to take the front panel off to see the pilot light but couldn’t manage to get it off fully without tools. I saw that the flame came on when the burner light was on then went out when the light went off.

I was just concerned as I often stay in the house by myself and was worried about it releasing gas or causing a fire whilst I was asleep. There does seem to be a bit of black dust/dirt around the tube (flue?) That goes from the top to outside. I’ve got a carbon monoxide alarm as well and that hasn’t gone off.

The boiler model is a Main Combi 24 HE (pics attached)

Thank you!

Attachments

• A0A593A5-567D-417C-A7DA-93C582E67684.jpeg
    A0A593A5-567D-417C-A7DA-93C582E67684.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 319
  • FBEF8792-2B4E-4262-B93B-56D2EBD12066.jpeg
    FBEF8792-2B4E-4262-B93B-56D2EBD12066.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
I've reported your thread & asked for it to be moved to the plumbing/heating section. If it does not get moved & you get no answer here then repost in that section.

I tried to take the front panel off to see the pilot light but couldn’t manage to get it off fully without tools. I saw that the flame came on when the burner light was on then went out when the light went off. I’ve got a carbon monoxide alarm as well and that hasn’t gone off.

The boiler model is a Main Combi 24 HE (pics attached)

Thank you!
The tools are needed because only a Gas Safe technician should remove covers - and do a yearly Landlords Safety service.:!:

Sponsored Links
There's a problem with the heating...it should stay on longer for 20 seconds...it will cost you more in gas with it cycling continuously.
Do you have a current Gas Safety Reecord?
There is no pilot light...do not attempt any repairs yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back