Is my CU earth OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you could have a quick look at the photo of my main earth and let me know if it seems OK.

100_5862.jpg

The earth cable attached to the screw terminal in the photo connects the the earth bus bar in my new (spark installed) CU. The pipe on the RHS of the photo is the gas pipe feeding the boiler, the cable running along side it is an earth from the bus bar in the CU which connects to the gas pipe very near the gas meter.

Does this all look OK and safe? If not, what changes need to be made, and who should make them?

Many thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
Is that main earth just twisted to the incomer ?

EDIT.No just looked and re-read its a screw terminal but it doesn't look too secure - could get broken off.Better to be re-made with a crimped lug on it.

No, there is a metal lug with a screw in it. The wire is wrapped around the screw which has been tightened. Not sure where the other end of the lug is as its covered in a black tar like tape.

Sorry its not clear on the photo. The CU is in a dark cupboard and the flash has made it look strange

Sponsored Links
Main Earth Conductor looks to be smaller diameter than bond on rhs of photo.

I would expect it to be other way round.

And unless you painted the area after the CU change lloks like your sparky hasn't upgraded the Main Earth.

Check diameter of each cable 10mm2 is ~ 6mm od and 16mm is ~7mm od.

If the cable to gas is 6mm od that's fine if the Main Earth is the same or less then it should be changed to 16mm2 and your sparky sholud do that and re test Ze

Because the main earth is clamped to the incoming cable, maybe the spark is reluctant to change: it is the responsibility of the DNO.

Dont want o hijack the thread, but another CU earth to look at.
IMGP1234.jpg

And the question is?
Well pretty much the same as diy_dude's - How bad is it?

I have another thread about periodical Inspections where a similar question is asked, so I don't want to hijack this thread, but thought that as teh content was similar it might attract attention here. Sorry, I'll get my coat

A clamp on the sheath is pretty poor, the supplier will usually provide a better one for £50 to £100. Sometimes free.

Preferably they will convert you to TNC-S but they may just sweat on a more reliable terminal than that nasty clamp.

Fit your own earth block and 16mm G&Y ready to connect to it

DJM said:
And the question is?
Well pretty much the same as diy_dude's - How bad is it?

I have another thread about periodical Inspections where a similar question is asked, so I don't want to hijack this thread, but thought that as teh content was similar it might attract attention here. Sorry, I'll get my coat

I wasn't getting at you, I just didn't know what you were asking...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back