Is my Draper belt sanding worth fixing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my Draper belt sander for about four years and it has been a very useful tool for my prolifit DIY jobs. Today it started playing up. When pressing the trigger it works intermittently. I noticed that WHen I press the trigger harder it sometimes comes back to life but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it. I'm guessing the switch has gone and if so, should i try to fix it or is it not worth it?

Sponsored Links
id 1st look at the brushes before doing anything thing else.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The carbon brushes are below two plastic caps on the side of the motor.....if they are worn to a couple of mm or are at the end of the spring pressure then renew them.
One wee tip......if the tool doesn't want to start, press the trigger in and then waggle the mains lead where it goes into the handle.....cable failure is common.
If that doesn't sort the machine, I'm afraid its destined for the carpenters shop in the sky....
John :)

The carbon brushes are below two plastic caps on the side of the motor.....if they are worn to a couple of mm or are at the end of the spring pressure then renew them.
One wee tip......if the tool doesn't want to start, press the trigger in and then waggle the mains lead where it goes into the handle.....cable failure is common.
If that doesn't sort the machine, I'm afraid its destined for the carpenters shop in the sky....
John :)
Thanks John. I'll check tomorrow when Im less tired. One questions though, what do you mean when you say renew the brushes?

take old 1s out,throw them away and buy new 1s and fit them.

dont throw them away initially in case there not at fault :!: lol

look for lots off big sparks from the brush end off the motor

dont throw them away initially in case there not at fault :!: lol

look for lots off big sparks from the brush end off the motor
Thanks. Sorry for the daft question but are the sparks a good or a bad sign?

are the sparks a good or a bad sign?

They are a bad sign, your commutator that the bushes run on will be dirty and pitted.
When you dismantle, clean it up with a piece of fine emery cloth, and clean the grooves out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back