Is my electrician legall required to install a new CU ?

It's one of these regs that's open to interpritation. The actual wording is "socket-outlets for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons, e.g. in some commercial or industrial locations"

You strike me as being a skilled or instructed person, and I'd have no issue with ommiting RCD from the sockets on your test bench, but what about the socket for the kettle in the canteen or where the cleaner plugs in her hoover? I'd be less keen to omit the addition protection there.

Sponsored Links
True is hard to explain the layout, there is 130 offices onsite, all with their own front door onto the car park, and all with their own meter and consumer unit.

My office is less than 100sq ft and has no plumbing. All the plumbing is on the toilets and kitchen in the main office block which is open to the public and thus is a entire kettle of fish. But my office is only used by myself and there is no plumbing in there.

It is not that I am choosing to have an old fashioned unit, it is already there but due to how it is being used I am more than happy with it.

At home though I am pushing for the new consumer unit to be installed as soon as possible.

This is my office as I was kitting it out, you can see how basic it is.

2012-06-24153057.jpg

I don't quite know who wylex are still selling their old boards to. Perhaps they've just got a massive warehouse full of old stock that no body has wanted to buy for the last 15 years?
Agreed. Having said that, if they are still as 'like wot they used to be', they're far better engineered than anything which has followed [lots of solid brass and I particularly liked the two screws per termination] - so maybe a couple of those each preceded by an RCD might not be such a crazy option, even today - although I'd probably be a bit hesitant for any final circuits >32A.

Kind Regards, John.

Oh I absoloutely agree. They were fantastically engineered fuse boxes, and despite the huge amount that have been installed and the massive amount that are still in service today, it is very very rare indeed to see one fail, and that's usually as a result of abuse which you can't blame wylex for.

If only their new CUs were the same quality.....

Sponsored Links
They did eventually change to one screw per termination on the N (I think).
Yer but two screws , and domed so the indented the conductor for a positive hold.

Not like these ridiculous clamping screws that are used now, waggle waggle fall out.

We were brought up on Wylex 3036 and proud of it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back