Is my house falling down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this house two years ago. It was built in 1892. Tonight I was in the living room. I noticed for the first time that the plasterboard had moved away from the external wall (inside the house but this wall is an external wall) and oddly there was a draft coming into the house. I tore away the crumbling plasterboard. I used a clothers hanger that I had straightened out and probed the wall. To my shock I found a small opening between the bricks and without too much force the full length of the hanger went through the wall. It must have come out on the other side - outside the house. I haven't been out to check as it is late and that side of the wall is boundary with the neighbour's land. I can't make sense of this as I have little knowledge of these things. I can only guess the mortar has become weak between the bricks but what is the implication of this for me? Do I need to rebuild the entire wall. I think the wall is a cavity wall. So if the inner brickwork is weak like this then I expect the external skin must also be weak. How do I fix this problem? Will the wall collapse if left like this?

Sponsored Links
ACHOO

4G78uX.gif

:LOL:

Oldie but goody! :D

Providing walls are "plumb" that is vertical and evenly supported under their base (foundations), they don't fall down. The mortar is to keep the bricks apart :) or rather even out bends or high spikes on their surfaces so the weight is spread over the whole brick not just on a high point.
So peer along the edge of this dodgy wall and see if it bulging or moving inwards. To be really technical stretch a piece of string along the face of the wall and see how flat it is. Put a plumb bob on it and see if its vertical. Go a long way away from it and view it to see if there are any cracks in it, and see if the pointing (outer surface of the mortar) is good and even or is falling out or even missing.
Most dangerous problems with walls are when the foundations crack/move due to earth movements like tree roots or clay drying out. Very occaisionally the weight of the roof will spread the top of the walls, often due to slates being replaced with much heavier concrete tiles.
The idea of plaster boarding an external wall is a complete bodge, it just hides faults and provides virtually zero insulation. Rip it all out. Figure out what is wrong with the wall, fix it. Render the wall to make it air tight, batten and insulate then vapour control membrane THEN plasterboard it and skim.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Thats useful Frank. I will do as you say and inspect for what is wrong and repair it. A builder suggested that I fill the cavity with concrete- a little bit at a time. i.e put some concrete in let it harden then some more next day etc. Is it a good idea to fill it with concrete?

. A builder suggested that I fill the cavity with concrete- a little bit at a time. i.e put some concrete in let it harden then some more next day etc. Is it a good idea to fill it with concrete?

Is this a wind-up??
Why a wind up? You just being facetious or what? Cavities are filled with foam for example as insulation so why not concrete? That's my question. Repair the wall, replace old mortar etc. and fill the cavity with concrete - that's the builders suggestion.

Custard would be better! It is non-Newtonian....and tasty.

For a professional opinion, get a qualified structural surveyor RICS qualified.

Otherwise....just use custard as it will be just as good as the concrete suggestion but taste better.

Concrete is heavy,say about 50 times heavier then foam. It also is very poor at "sticking" things together. It is the very last thing to do with a cavity wall. I think you should get yourself a different builder.
Frank

A builder suggested that I fill the cavity with concrete-

. A builder suggested that I fill the cavity with concrete- a little bit at a time. i.e put some concrete in let it harden then some more next day etc. Is it a good idea to fill it with concrete?

Is this a wind-up??
Why a wind up? You just being facetious or what? Cavities are filled with foam for example as insulation so why not concrete? That's my question. Repair the wall, replace old mortar etc. and fill the cavity with concrete - that's the builders suggestion.

The 'builder' is the one being facetious.
Do what he suggests, and then post back here when further problems arise.

Custard would be better!

That would make bananas and custard. Lovely.

I see that the site autocorrect has changed the OP's "village idiot" to "builder". I'll notify admin about the malfunction.

Custard would be better!
This is fine but when making the custard on site (assuming you're not buying in readymix) ensure to go easy on the milk or it will run out of the hole. Easing off on the milk will ensure it's good and thick and sets properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back