Is my tank big enough to get a bath full of water out of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I cant seem to get a bath's full of hot water. The water goes cold when it gets about 9 inches deep.
I read somewhere that it takes about 70 litres of hot water and 30 litres of cold water to fill up a bath.
Can you have a look at this photo and tell me if the cylinder is big enough to contain enough water for a bath? (Sorry, I havnt measured it, but its about 4 foot tall)
If its not big enough then Ill have to buy another one - I havnt had a decent bath since I moved into the house!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
1st check that the cylinder is getting hot almost to the bottom, and getting hot enough. Remove some of that insulation and there may be some info on the size and capacity on the cylinder. It all depends on how deep you want your water. Baths are not designed to be swimming pools.

Thanks, Ill have a look when I get back later. But looking at the photo - would you say the tank is big enough to fill a bath? I like a bath to be filled close to the overflow holes.

48" x 16" or 18" (1200 x 400/450mm) should be ample for a bath - if heating correctly.

Is it direct (immersion heater only) or indirect (heated by a central heating boiler)?

Sponsored Links
Thanks! It is heated directly from the immersion element (I dont have a boiler).

What temperature is the thermostat set at:

backer-backermatic-safety-thermostat-bmst-1.jpg

Is there anything on the heater to indicate what size it is or a make and model number. Ideally you need a 36" immersion heater.

immersion heaters are not usually long enough to reach to the bottom of a tall thin cylinder, so it is probably only getting hot half way. An immersion heater is not very powerful and will take hours to heat a cylinder.

A short, stout cylinder, or a cylinder with one or two elements going in from the side (they are often used on Economy 7 type tariffs, as the bottom element can heat the whole cylinder overnight) will give more hot water. Some of them are available in stainless steel which with the current cost of copper is no more expensive. modern cylinders are factory-insulated and so more efficient.

I will guess that your thin cylinder was fitted to save space. The red jacket suggests it is old. Roll the jacket away and take more pictures, especially of any actual or potential connections near the bottom of the side or front.

How much room have you got?

Exactly!

The elements are usually 27" and will only heat about half of the cylinder if its 48" tall.

Pretty hopeful expecting anyone to calculate your cylinder and bath capacities with out any dimensions!

Also very wasteful filling a bath to the overflow! When I was a student we were only allowed 4" of water in the bath!

Tony

I am sure our over-bearing Government will soon have a new piece of legislation within the Building Regulations making illegal to have more than 100mm of tepid water in a bath! :evil:

If you get a bit more portly, Archimedes' principle will have water spilling out of the bath with only a few pints in it

The elements are usually 27" and will only heat about half of the cylinder if its 48" tall.
Usually? Only if the plumber installing it is a richard head!

I've already said he needs a 36" IH.

Irrespective of that, lengths longer that 27" are rarely stock items at most merchants and not at the sheds either!

Tony

Yes, John, a 36" IH, which is the longest domestic IH available.
Most distributors keep them on the shelf, so 2 to 3 days to the merchant.

No doubt when fitting a 36"/900mm high cylinder you'd fit a 27" IH, yes?
Isn't 27" only 3/4 of a 36"/900mm cylinder?
Your argument holds about as much water as a urinal fitted with a flush grated waste. Please don't tell me you'd fit a 36" IH. :rolleyes:

I could suggest two Essex Flanges and two 11" IHs, but a 36" IH is the easiest solution - if the cylinder is only fitted with a 27" IH.

27" is roughly 3/5 of 48". Not as good as 3/4. 25% improvement, roughly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back