Is overtime compulsory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi y'all,

Can anyone advise whether OT is compulsory? Been at my job 10 months and since November we've been "expected" to do alternate Sundays. It's double time per shift but this additional money is going to screw up my student loans threshold, to the point if I start paying it back I'm losing a weekend day per month for nothing. I don't need the money the basic salary is fine for me...:eek: I really hate the one day weekend though, and this expectation that I've nothing better to do than live to work....work life balance is terrible now...
There was no mention of this OT at the interview or until the Autumn actually, and I have no contract or written statement to say I should.
(I don't get any breaks either, yesterday I had to hold on to a No2 for the last 2 hrs of my shift cos you just can't stop.... :oops: My boss has no idea about 21st century employment law...)
Could he sack me if I refused?

Sponsored Links
If it is not in a contract, written or verbal, then you do not have to do it.

But be careful, you are only 10 months into your job, get past the 12 month mark before you kick up a stink, you have more protection then.

They have changed the law, protection starts after 24 months.

Be careful as their are many people out there who would just jump straight into your job.

Andy

They have changed the law, protection starts after 24 months.

Be careful as their are many people out there who would just straight into your job.

Andy

I think that only applies to people who started after April 2012, he will be fine if he has been employed 10 months already.

Sponsored Links
Just found this-
http://www.lawyerlocator.co.uk/lawy...e/id/254/termination-of-employment-contracts/

Seems under 2 years is a weeks notice....So if paid monthly and I wanted to quit they'd expect me to give at least a months notice. But if they want shot of me they could boot me out after a weeks notice....good old private sector eh....laws to favour the employers as per usual.
In my job they'd need at least 8-12 weeks notice from me to find and train a replacement...yet as I have no contract I could legally leave after a weeks notice and they would be royally f***ed :mrgreen:

.........but this additional £432 is going to screw up my student loans threshold, to the point if I start paying it back I'm losing a weekend day per month for nothing.........

Pay your debts. If you worked for me I'd fire yer ass, give the job to somebody who deserved it.

As them if it can be taken as time in lieu?
there must be occasions when you could use time off mid week, look on it as hours banked, not actual cash.

Wotan

Pay your loan, unless you want to be stuck under the threshold all your life (until the loan is written off anyway). Bear in mind that depending on when you took the loan, although you don't have to pay anything off it they continue to accrue interest on it, so when you do have to start paying there will be more to pay off. TBH in many ways you are lucky to get double time, if I have to do any overtime the best I will get is time in lieu and even that would be difficult.

Done some calcs looks like I'd be better off just paying it back regardless. If the OT ends up being compulsory even if I went to basic hourly rate for 2 days a month I'd be close to the threshold. So 2 weeks a month, might as well stay on double time and reduce the debt....
I'd much prefer it as time in lieu but I'd never get it back anyway...he's meant to be starting a third person so hopefully it (the OT) will come to an end anyway...!

Sponsored Links
Back